Adding a drainpan under my sand filter...

jwhop3

Jun 9, 2014
Rocky Mount/Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
Every time I have to open my filter to replace a lateral, or check for tunneling, I get leaks at all point of connection coming out of my filter. Eventually, they either fill in with grease, grime or grit and seal up, or I apply a little silicone sealant to the threads. I have 2 pvc unions on the in and out line, and these are the usual culprits. Also, the retaining ring under the multiport like to bleed too, but I usually put sealant around that.

Has anyone ever set their filter inside a drainpan, similar to what you would use under a hot water heater, to catch any water that would leak out and return by temporary hose back to the pool? I think next time I have to break down my filter I'm gonna try this, was wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

I'm leak-free now, had to loosen the last union and hand-tighten, then gradually tighten with rubber-strap wrench until drip stopped.

That's not a bad plan but i have been fortunate not to open my filter except once in 9 years for a repair.

That said, my filter is inside a garage so a deep cleaning and inspection of the sand makes a real mess. being able to even capture that water in a drain pan and get it outside is worth thinking about

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.