Cwritner pool issue.

May 8, 2015
Sand Springs, OK
Hello everyone. Been lurking for a while and really like this place. I have much of the advise I have read. I live in Oklahoma and built and enclosed pool for our retirement. We are all in as pool people. 18,000 gallon pool with in floor system, hot tub attached with spillover and SWG. All is going well. Water is still crystal clear. My alkalinity has always been high. Say 150. Currently it is at 100. My ph will get out of whack and go over 8.2 in less than a week if I don't add MA (2 pints) at least once a week. So here's my dilemma, am I using too much MA and is this strange? No smell, no burn, no irritation. Check the water daily. Usually run the pump 4 hours but sometimes all night if I am adding MA. Chlorine is at 3.0. Thoughts.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep maintaining your pH. If this is a new pool with gunite/plaster, you'll fight the pH rise for a while but it will get better as your TA comes down. Each time you add acid, you're lowering TA. So... keep doing what you're doing and likely your pH rise will slow once your TA gets to the 70-100 range. Going as low as 60 is fine if that's where you get less pH rise. Only lower your pH when it rises above 8.0, not before. Carbon dioxide outgassing is slower at higher pH levels so trying to keep your pH at or below 7.6 can be difficult without getting into a never ending acid/baking soda cycle.