New above ground

Aug 13, 2015
Wailuku Hawaii
I have an Intex 8 x 30 above ground pool that I would like to setup. No filter yet. A 1 inch, floating dispenser came with the pool. My questions are what chemicals do I add without a filter and what chemicals would I add with a filter? I tested my water from the house and coming from a water softener, it is free of chlorine with the Ph normal. Basically, how do I start my pool?

With a pool that small, you could manage with something smaller and cheaper, for example the Intex 635 pump, which is described as a 1500 gph pump, using the size 'A' filter. That is the size pump usually packaged with 18' pools, so several sizes larger than what the manufacturer would package with a pool of your size.

The units others have mentioned are nice, but also more expensive.

For reference, my pool (5500 gallons) came with the Summer Escapes version of the Intex 635. The larger pump in my signature died a week or so ago, and while we wait for the replacement bearings my husband just ordered, we are currently circulating the water with the OEM pump (hooked up with hoses to still use the larger 'B' filter). It does OK for circulation, although I don't hold out high hopes for vacuuming with this setup. For your pool with under 1000 gallons, this '1500 gph' type pump should do pretty well.

Will the Intex 3000 gph sand filter do better? Sure! But it will also cost you maybe three times as much (I've been looking around on eBay, since the demise of our pump motor:) ).

Thanks for your help. For some reason, our "Big Box" stores have a very limited selection of pool products. I'll look around for the CYA and I guess that I will use unscented bleach. I do have a two way test kit, chlorine and Ph. Should I look for additional products?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have a Costco, Walmart or Home Depot close to you?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

We do have both on Maui, however, their selection is from little to none. The pool companies that I have contacted seem to have only large quantities of chemicals. Looks like I will have to order on line. Thanks for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

I added `1 cup of liquid Clorox and waited an hour, with the filter running, tested the water and got high Ph and chlorine levels. I'll give it some time to mellow out and retest this afternoon. Any other suggestions?
Thanks for your help.

Do try to find some CYA (usually labeled 'stabilizer') - often sold in 4 lb. containers, which would last you several years with that size pool. Otherwise your chlorine won't last long in the sun.

Do you have a number for pH? "High" is not very informative.

As far as the pump you got, I think that sounds fine, as long as you keep on top of the pool chemistry and don't let algae get a foothold. I do not agree with the previous poster who thinks the pump is overkill. In fact, you will probably find that the filter area is smaller than you would like... But it will do the job if you are careful. Before we got our current pool, we spent a number of summers with a 1000 gallon pool, and its packaged pump/filter (rated for 600 gph) - that equipment was definitely "underkill" if there is such a word. :)

Do try to find some CYA (usually labeled 'stabilizer') - often sold in 4 lb. containers, which would last you several years with that size pool. Otherwise your chlorine won't last long in the sun.

Do you have a number for pH? "High" is not very informative.

As far as the pump you got, I think that sounds fine, as long as you keep on top of the pool chemistry and don't let algae get a foothold. I do not agree with the previous poster who thinks the pump is overkill. In fact, you will probably find that the filter area is smaller than you would like... But it will do the job if you are careful. Before we got our current pool, we spent a number of summers with a 1000 gallon pool, and its packaged pump/filter (rated for 600 gph) - that equipment was definitely "underkill" if there is such a word. :)

I just took another sample and my PH is 8.0 and the chlorine was at 8.8BR / 4.0cI.
Both these readings seem high. Are they?
THanks

4 ppm chlorine is high without any stabilizer in the water. However, it will not stay that high very long when sun is shining on the pool... because there is no stabilizer in the water.

Do get the pH down - get some dry acid (usually labeled as pH Down or pH -). Muriatic acid is more commonly recommended here for lowering pH, but I tend to think you won't want to deal with measuring out small amounts of it, and with long-term storage of the open bottle, given the small size of your pool.

Please read these links so you can better understand the chlorine/CYA relationship.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And please review that guide to seasonal and temporary pools again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.