Double Your Pleasure

joel0711

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2010
East Tennessee, 40 miles west of Knoxville Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It's always fun to have 2 minor problems going at once!
Pool light is not working. I replaced the 20 amp GFI breaker and Light switch. GFI breaker will not reset and "throws" to off every time. Any ideas what to try next?? Pool light could possibly be bad but it hasn't been use but very few hours since installation in 2009. Would a bad bulb cause the GFI to break soon as it's set??

Added DE to sand filter after deep cleaning twice and now DE is showing up on pool bottom... Multiport valve is new and I'm suspecting bad laterals but know of no way to be sure except removing sand and checking. If I remove sand I figure I might as well change laterals either way since half the work is already done. Am I on the right track with this problem??

Thanks for the help. I knew nothing of pool maintenance until I found TFP!!

A bad bulb can cause the gfci to trip as soon as it's energized. Moisture or incorrect wiring in the junction box will also cause it. Have you opened up the junction box and looked at it?

How much DE did you add?
DE is fine enough to go right through a sand filter lateral slit. You're depending on the sand bed to stop it and if you add too much it will go right into the pool.
Also did you use filter DE or garden DE? There's a difference.

A bad bulb or water in the light will trip the GFI. If your multiport valve is good, and you added DE, then you probably have a broken lateral(s) or you have channeling in your sand. The curious thing is that a broken lateral allows DE and sand to return to the pool.

Thanks to all!!

I added approx. 3 cups pool DE, I'm thinking I added too much. I've had no rain lately but am planning on vacuuming to waste soon as I get some rain to get rid of the excess DE.

The pool light is 6 years old with little use but I expect moisture has finally leaked in. Junction box and switch is dry. I'll try replacing light and seal.

Did you wire up the GFCI breaker correctly? The coiled white neutral wire ties to the neutral bar in the panel and all the neutrals from the equipment being protected tie into the breaker itself along with the hot wire. There are two connection points on the GFCI breaker: one for black/hot and one for white (neutral).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.