New pool owner with green/dark green/blue stain(?)

Min

Aug 11, 2015
Buena Park / California
I purchased a house with a pool that was sparkling clean. It wasn't planned, since I never lived in a house nor owned a pool. However, my 3 year old process loves a pool so I had to buy it.
Initial plan was to hire prfessional to maintain the pool until I learn some ABC of pool maintanance.
however, I had some horrible issues with contractor I hired so actual move in got delayed for couple weeks. So basically, the pool was left unattended for at least good 3 weeks with 6 hours/day pumping with creepy crawlerand also solar panel was covering the entire pool the whole time.
by the time I moved in and uncovered the pool, it was green swamp.
A guy from pool service said since I can still see the bottom of the pool it can be saved.
He shocked the pool with chlorine and came back a day later to add more chemicals.
5th day of shocking the pool, water looks clean but the bottom of the pool especially steps and shallow area still looks green.
Pool guy said the water is clean now but the plaster has the damage caused by the algae.
When I asked if there is anyway to get the color off the pool, he added some copper and said it might help but copper can only do so much. He was suggesting acid wash and eventually replastering the pool.
If Acid wash is the only way of getting rid of this stain(?) what is the point of shocking the pool?
I was ready to drain the pool and start all over again when I first saw green pool.
Today is the 7th day since initial shock and I don't see much improvement on pool bottom color.
can my pool gain former glory without fully drainig and do acid wash??
I feel like i wasted time and electricity on shocking the pool only to realize i needed to drain the pool to begin with.

please help! My wife breaks in tears every morning she sees the pool!!

Do the stains brush up easily only to reappear? When you first moved into the home did the pool have these stains?

My first suggestion would be to quit taking the advice you are currently getting and listen to the good people on this forum. I would also highly recommend that you purchase a good test kit, such as the Taylor 2006C or the TF-100 (my choice). While waiting on your kit read and then reread Pool School. I would also suggest that your add 1/2 to 1 gallon of plain 8.5% bleach (non scented, non splashless, regular) to the pool once a day to keep things in check. Keep your pump running and brush that pool like crazy. Once you receive your test kit post a full set of results in this thread and we will have that pool looking great in no time!

Okay so here is what you need to do..................

-find where you can buy your bleach. Make sure it is at least 8.25%. Walmart greater value works great. Sams club also has Clorox. You have to find out what is cheapest and easiest for you to get. Make sure it has a current date code and has the % listed on it.

-order a good test kit. Look in my siggy. You are going to need the TF-100 XL to do what you need to do. This kit will save your pool and keep you out of the pool store (they have already wasted your money and time so.......)

-while you are waiting to get your test kit you can add 1 jug a day to your pool to keep it from getting worse.

When you test kit gets there you will do something called a SLAM. Here is the link to it.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

We will get your water clear and hopefully get the stains lighter if not gone.

Let me know when you have ordered the test kit and I have a couple more things for you to read up on.

Kim

Stains were not there when I first bought the place. It all happened after the green swamp.
It does not feel slimy or anything like that when I touch it with my hand. It does not scrub off.
What kind of brush should I use to scrub the pool plaster? I have a plastic brush with long adjustable metal pole that came with the pool.
Any youtube site or guide on how to scrub the pool?
also my creepy crawler always move to a same spot and stuck there for some reason even after I move it manually to the other location. Any suggestion?
When I try to brush the pool with my plastic brush it creates white dust on the bottome. My pool guy said it is pool dust.
But is it normal??
my creepy crawl obviously not doing its job.
I am definitely ordering the testing kit.

Yippee Skippy is correct, adding the copper could be the reason for the staining. The stain could also be algae. Getting your free chlorine up to shock level will help determine the problem. If it is just organic staining the free chlorine will oxidize/bleach it out. If it is metal staining other options are available.

You can purchase a wire scrub brush and that may help removing some discoloration. I'm hoping it is just organic staining as opposed to the copper. Copper stains can be difficult to remove...

Bleach, just plain, unscented, household bleach and lots of it!

For right now just put in a jug of bleach a night and let the pump run.

The white stuff is no big deal.

PLEASE stop talking to the pool guy or store. All they want is your money. All we want is for your wife to be happy as she floats on her raft in a clear pool!

Kim

Pool guy just came by and he recommended a product called poolRX. Any of you have experience with this product?? He claims that poolrx should be able to get rid of whatever that is left over of algae that is stainig the pool plaster.
He also claims that his customers are satisfied with its blue stain. My wife is sold. She will be happy as long as yellow/green stains are gone and the pool plaster is covered with even blue staining that looks pretty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:( No please.

We have all told you how we do things here at TFP. I have shared links to post of pools worse than yours.

We KNOW how to clear your pool BUT you have to help us help you by not listening to the pool guy.

Look back at your first post. He is not saying the same thing at all. He is just trying to get your money by selling you quick band-aides.

Kim

Min-
I have owned a pool for less than a season. The area around the pool is still under construction. If I had listened to the pool builder, I have no doubt my cyanuric acid level would be over 70 and still climbing. Instead, I followed the advice here and now one of my favorite things to do is flip a quarter into the deep end and see if it's heads or tails.

Normally, free advice is worth what you pay for it. This forum is the exception to the rule.

You've got to pick. Pool store way or TFP way. They don't play nicely together.

My 2 cents: put some blind faith in the TFP method. I know it's hard to trust some random strangers online, but give it a shot. I'm glad I did and I'm totally hooked on this pool management system.

Good luck. Get the test kit and keep posting results. The people here won't steer you wrong. I've read several similar threads to this and it is always impressive. If you keep taking a pictures from the same spot, you will be able to watch the progress. I look forward to seeing your crystal clear pool.

So I told the pool guy that I do not want poolrx. He added for chlorine and acid last night.
Today while I was at work he texted me that the all the algae is gone but I do have some plaster damage. He also told me that my chlorine level is extremely high and pH is around 6.2. He said duing the summer pH goes up very fast so it is not a problem but will add baking soda if it does not go up in couple days.
I got home and checked the pool and the green stain is still there on the pool bottome especially near the steps and shallow area. I wonder if it is metal stain or the stain left by green algae.
the pool guy is still recommending copper.
does green algae usually leave that huge stain on the bottom after shock? Water looks clear.
How do I get rid of this stain?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.