Strainer pot cracked

Apr 18, 2014
Granbury Texas
My strainer pot has a crack in it. Currently the pump is running 24/7 and the pot is not leaking, the pressure and tons of pool lube are keeping the pot pressurized.
So I have to replace the pot...

Two issues/questions I have:

1. Part identification. From observation I cannot find a serial number but it looks like PacFab/Pentair 355300. Any idea if this is what I need (see pics below)?

2. installing the pot. I am 50/50, do the work myself/ hire someone. Having never done this before I just do not want to get in over my head. From the pics you can see there is a sleeve butted up against the valve with very little space to the collar on the pot. if that sleeve was not there I would myself cut the put swap the part and put a sleeve on. I am concerned there is not enough space to do the repair without doing a fair amount of plumbing before and after the valve, probably needing a new valve in the process. Thoughts on what I am getting into here? If I paid someone to do it, would it be a general plumber or one of the local pool techs? If paying someone should I buy the part first or simply let them do the whole job?

Whew.........that felt like a lot....

Attachments

• IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 43
The epoxy might make it last for a little while longer but ultimately, you'll want to replace it.

If you're having trouble figuring out what part to get, the best thing to do is to take it to a pool shop and enlist their help to order what you need. I know this forum frowns on pool shops but having one in this case can be very helpful even if you pay a bit more for them to order what you need. At least they have the part you need IN HAND and ought to be able to order exactly what you need. Once you have the new part, it'll help you figure out how it all goes together. Then next time you'll be a bit more wiser about some of your pool equipment and can likely handle the next problem. :)

Trying to avoid the down time as much as possible. Pulling it and bringing it in really leaves me hoping they have the part in stock. Cutting it out without the part on hand could mean significant down time while its still very much summer here in N Tx

I have no idea if it will work but last year I needed to fix my weir door. I got some marine epoxy at Home Depot. I never did replace the the door with new one I ordered The old one is still holding a year later. That stuff worked good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.