I need help with green pool.

Aug 13, 2015
Independence
Hello,
I'm having problem with green pool, I can super chlorinate it vacuum 2-3 days and have water crystal clear and a couple days later green again. I have 18x33 oval above ground pool around 15,400 gallons. I bought a taylor 2006 kit. Last night when i come home everything I vacuumed day before has algae growing again. I check chlorine I have about 5.0 free chlorine then checked combined chlorine when i put drops in water didn't change back to pink so I guess I have no combined chlorine so is this enough to keep algae growing? Ph is about 7.4. Total Alkalinity is about 100. Cya is about 60. I had this problem last week and was fighting it so I drained 2/3 of water refilled had everthing where is should be, checked it friday we went out of town came back Sunday and it was green again. I then pour 5 gallons of liquid chlorine vacuumed it for a couple of day got water super clear and a couple days later green again. When adusting TA i'm using baking soda and ph was a littlle high using muratic acid to lower, I'm weighing all chemicals with post scale and using poolcalculator.com. At this point I don't know what to do, any ideas would help. I have had this pool 15 years and never fought green pool. When i'm vacuuming i'm switching filter cartridges out and letting pump run 24 hours a day.
Thanks
Terry

Hello Terry and welcome! If your pool is simply green from algae, and not an emerald, transparent green from metals, then your course of actions would be to follow the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. You must follow everything listed on this page exactly for best success. The key being to MAINTAIN that SLAM FC level that is applicable to your current CYA on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart.

Let us know if you have any more questions about the process. Welcome!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome to the forum,

It's pretty simple really, you simply are not killing all the Algae/spores when you make these FC additions. You need to complete a SLAM process to the letter, and it will defeat it. Get the pH to the correct level first, and follow the procedure without variation. You can click links in my signature for the SLAM article and instructions. Ask questions if you need too, and we can help.

I'm Getting There but need to be pointed in right direction.

Hello,
I posted yesterday about green pool. I started yesterday slamming it. Last night vacuumed all algae out this time took spare filter sprayed with straight liquid chlorine didn't know if filter was keeping algae inside pleats. So PH is 7.3, TA is 90, CYA is 60 and of course chlorine is way up for the slam, I used the poolcalculator for that. I think where I screwed up was I was keeping chlorine about 2-3 ppm. So if i'm reading chart right since my CYA is 60 does that mean I need to keep FC at 7? That just seems high. Also using Taylor K-2006 when you check chlorine using the powder and counting drops for FC you do that everyday? If so I would think i'm going to run of the powder and drops. Once I get this back where is should be do I need to do away with 3" tablets and just you poolcalculator and add liquid Chlorine?
Thanks
Terry

Please use PoolMath, button near top of each page on this site (in the row of buttons that starts with 'home'). Poolcalculator is no longer updated/supported, according to what I've read.

And I saw you started another thread about this same pool - please keep everything here, so that we are better able to keep track of things you report.

Re: I'm Getting There but need to be pointed in right direction.

You're on the right track with what you've started. Look at the CYA/Chlorine chart in my signature. At 60 ppm CYA, you need to have 5 FC as your minimum, target 7 FC when you add for the day. If you find that when you test your FC is dropping below 5, then target 8 ppm FC when adding.

You don't need to do the FAS-DPD test every day once you're comfortable and you have passed the SLAM criteria. You can use the color match block for FC/pH daily. As long as your sample is just as yellow as the 5 FC comparator, that's enough FC and you know what to dose to bring to 7 FC. Are you using the 10 mL or 25 mL sample size for testing FC/CC? The 10 mL sample size will save on drops and is accurate enough for the SLAM and weekly checks (should do FAS-DPD at least weekly when in maintenance mode).

Make sure you're using the Pool Math calculator link at the top of the page. There is another page out there on the internet called poolcalculator that is not supported by this site and I'm not sure that it's been updated.

You can save the tablets for use on vacation (knowing that they will raise your CYA) or for when you need to bump up your CYA a little bit. If you store them dry, they'll last a long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.