First vacation with pool

Jun 4, 2014
Fawn Grove, PA
Hi all-

I'm about to leave my pool for 8 days for the first time since I've had it. My in-laws are stopping by every evening to care for my cats and parrots so I do have them to add bleach.

Here is my plan - please advise if you think this is a good plan or if I need to change it.

First, my pool loses between 1 and 2 ppm FC each day (24hrs) dependent on weather.

Most recent test results:
FC 4
CC 0
pH 7.5
CYA 30
TA 100
CH 240

My plan is, before leaving Friday morning, to take it to Shock level (12 - CYA is 30). FC desired range is 2-4. One gallon of bleach typically increases pool by a little over 5.

So...

If Friday morning the FC is 12, my estimated projected chlorine loss would look something like this:
Sat AM: FC between 10 -11
Sat PM: 9 - 10.5
Sun PM: 7 - 9.5
Mon PM: 5 - 8.5
Tue PM: 3 - 7.5 - Plan to have in-laws add 1/2 gallon of bleach, so plus 2.5 would mean between 5.5-10FC
Wed PM: 3.5-9
Thur PM: 1.5 - 8 - In-laws add another 1/2 gallon. I realize 1.5 is low, but I sincerely doubt it will be full sun all day every day for the worst case scenario.
Fri PM: 3 - 9.5 - I will check and adjust as soon as I return home.

Sound like a good plan? I intend to do one last full test prior to leaving.

Thanks for everyone's help!

I found my FC loss was greater the higher it was above my recommended level for my CYA. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the sun ate through much more of it (ppm) when I was closer to SLAM levels than when it is closer to recommended levels.

Cory

^^ya the higher the chlorine the faster it dissipates til it gets to maintenance level.

Another benefit I found with having a blue solar cover...I use a lot less bleach.

I can sometimes go up to 3 days with no FC loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.