Top layerof gunite flaking off-help!

Aug 12, 2015
southlake, tx
Our PB" subcontractors shot the gunite in about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday he had someone come out and they are literally jackhammering about 30 % of the shot gunite--mostly off bottom and sides of two opposite sections of the pool--due to the top layer not "adhering" properly. PB said he has never had happen before. It could be "because someone stepped on the gunite or the psi on the gunite shooter was not correct." Although he has never had this happen before he assures us that this is not a problem. He also had never had a subcontractor hit a gas line (last week's drama) before...I know, I know, why did they not call to have lines for gas marked>" So, right now, I am trying to educate myself on gunite. The guy that started jackhammering showed me, by hammering around the pool,and listening to the different sounds the hammer made, where the gunite had adhered properly to the bottom layer of the gunite. Can anyone give me education, advise or???

Thank you, Richard320 for your response. Yes, we are taking pictures. It looks shocking, pieces of 1-2 inch thick pieces of gunite being jack hammered off. Half the pool dug out to the bottom layer--right before rebarb. I have never heard of anyone even having this kind of situation before. We are saving samples of what has been removed. I think that because they do not know why so much has to be removed. I mean, surely, the shooter walking on the gunite, should not necessitate removing half the pool.

Sounds like they applied the rebound to the floor. Another thread is dealing with a somewhat similar situation. I too agree that some walking on seems unlikely to cause that. A bad mixture or rebound I suspect.

I do have pictures, but am unable to post them right now, as they are on my husbands phone. It looked "normal" to me, except two small areas that looked liked they were the size of a handprint, but of course was not handprints--about 1-2 inches deep. So, we were shocked when they started jackhammering out half the pool bottom. The gunite (?) company that was jackhammering told me that you could not necessarily tell where the problems were by looking at it, he showed me by hitting a hammer on the gunite and having me listen to the different tones that were made by the impact of the hammer. One of the selling points with this builder was that he told us that he did not use the rebounding material like other builders do. I can not remember off hand what he said he did with the rebound--I'll double check with him and/or my husband, but whatever he said, it was more expensive use of the material. How do I find the other thread-is there a title to search it--might have information that I can use. Sorry, newbie here, in more ways than one! BTW, the PB also told me that this has never happened to any of his pools before. He also had never had a subcontractor hit a gas line while running the gas line from the pool. I have no idea while they did not call to have the lines marked before digging. But, I guess that is for another post! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.