CYA test with TF kit

amati5

Sep 13, 2011
So Cal
Following the instruction, the mixed solution is always more than enough to do the black dot test. Can I do it with half of the water and solution? This should result the same ratio to test with.

My other question is, seeing the guy at the pool store using the same test but since it's indoor (the black dot probably don't appear as dark), his result should be higher than when I do the test out in the backyard, correct?

I asked because my recent test showed 70 and the pool store's was 40, reversed of what I mentioned above.

Thx

With pool $tore you can never tell for sure what they are doing. It's best to just stay away if you can.

You can use less as you suggested. Just make sure it isn't too little to get the reading you need. Be very sure to use equal amounts of pool and reagent.

Just ignore pool store results, they will only confuse you. In fact, they did exactly that, so I rest my case :razz:

If you measured your CYA as 70 then that is what it is, don't retest because some guy at the pool store got an entirely different number. His job description is to make sales, not deliver accurate testing.

As long as there is a 1:1 ratio of water to melamine (the CYA reagent) then the results will be accurate.

70 CYA is fine. Why raise it if it's working?

And the scale is upside down, so lower level means higher number.

What I meant was the way I tested with half the liquid and it's been ok unless the CYA is way low which require more liquid to see the actual reading which I might not have enough. And if it's that low, I have to add CYA anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.