What pool filter do you use?

Which poolfilter do you use for your outdoor pool?

• Total voters

Henry Porter

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 7, 2008
Sweden
I would like to start a poll of what poolfiters TFP's members use on their outdoor pools. Please leave a comment of what the reason for your chooice is, and a little bit of the pools features. That would be much appreciated.
I have my reasons for asking! But I would like to spare that to after the poll.

Thanks everybody!

I chose a cartridge filter mainly because I was told the city required a separation tank for new pool installations for both sand and DE. I had considered DE before that but once I found out that I would need to clean a separation tank as well, I didn't think the setup would be much better than a cartridge filter. Life cost was probably about the same because cartridges need replacing and DE filters need to recharged after backwashing or cleaning.

DE will clean better but when I considered backwashing, cleaning the grids, recharging the DE and cleaning the separation tank, I figured the maintenace of the cartridge filter couldn't be that much worse. Given I only clean the cartridges twice a year, maintenance is probably less than what it would have been with a DE filter and separation tank although certainly more involved when I do clean them.

The water seems plenty clean to me so I am pretty satisfied with the cartridge filter. However, I don't think there is only one solution for everybody. Each filter has it's advantages and disadvantages. You have to think about what is important to you and what your willing to put up with.

I use a cartridge on my hot tub :lol:

Most pools here have sand filters, although cartridges are starting to catch on after last year's drought. A sand filter is great for ruggedness. As long as there's enough water in the pool to backwash repeatedly you can throw all the debris you want to at it. When the pressure builds up, you backwash the filter with one hand and hold a beer in the other (not when you're working on other people's stuff, of course...).

Debris through a cartridge is a different matter. Get a lot of algae or dirt into a cartridge pool and cleaning can become a pain in the neck. A waste line is critical in these situations in order to bypass the filter altogether. DE filters are similar in this respect. Even though some have "backwash" capability, they don't flush thoroughly and you still end up having to break the thing open to clean it manually.

This is the biggest difference for me since the pools I deal with are only cleaned weekly (or every other week) and I have to deal with whatever amount of trash there is. If water supply is not an issue sand is very forgiving.

We've got a Sand filter on our pool, and soon to be on our Spa also. The real reason for getting a sand filter is because we bought it and the pump cheap at a yard sale. The other reason is we were fed up with the inadequate filters provided with Intex pool and cleaning the cart was too much work too often.

I'm happy with the filter. I like the ease of use and the simplicity. You really can't screw it up. Backwashing is a quick painless process and water isn't an issue because I live 6 miles from Lake Michigan. :lol:

HTH,
Adam

I chose cartridge because I have a SWG and no backwashing means more stable water chemistry, since I fill with softened water. Also I feel carts are the best compromise between filtering efficiancy and ease of maintenance.

I have a cartridge filter for my pool (see signature). It's oversized (has 4 cartridges) which is important to cut down on the frequency of maintenance since I only clean it once a year -- even then, it never registers a PSI rise. I have an electric safety cover so don't get too much junk in the pool, though the filter does get a good share of cedar needles and what looks like accumulated suntan lotion or other flesh-colored oils. The area where I live sometimes has water restrictions so between the pool cover and the filter, my pool uses very little water. When I want to dilute the pool water, I mostly use winter rains.

Richard

waterbear said:
I chose cartridge because I have a SWG and no backwashing means more stable water chemistry, since I fill with softened water. Also I feel carts are the best compromise between filtering efficiancy and ease of maintenance.

I'd like to say I chose mine because of those reasons, but it was a package deal from the Pool Store (my favorite place :hammer: ) and we knew nothing about pools or equipment when we bought the deal. I don't know if I would like sand better, but I do like my cart system, it's only work a couple times a year, the rest of the time it's just there, taking up space, doing it's job.

Cartridge filter. At the time I bought it, the pool salesman said the filter was antibacterial, and I'm all about killing useless germs! Turns out he may have been fibbing a bit, or the manufacturer of the filter may have fibbed a bit, but I'm still satisfied with job it does cleaning the pool, and I only have to clean it about twice a year - once about midseason, and then again when I take it apart for winter.

Hi Mats :wave:

Can't participate in the poll, because I don't own a pool :shock: (I own a condominium and the association refuses to let me install one :p )

I thought you had decided on a cart filter (maybe you got a good offer on a different type)

Anyway, IF I ever install a pool, my first choice would be sand (for ease of maintenance), second choice would be DE (because I know how to properly use them and they do filter smaller particles). Why would I avoid a cart filter, you wonder, - because I really don't like the backsplash from hosing them off - though the folks who have them that have posted so far have very good reasons for having theirs and I would have one, if water restrictions or local backwash codes applied.

Off topic, Tim said:
you backwash the filter with one hand and hold a beer in the other (not when you're working on other people's stuff, of course...).
Where the heck did that rule come from??? :? I've got my customers trained to bring me a beer as soon as I show up :lol: "No Beeree, No Workee"

Now back to our regularly scheduled poll....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sand. Purchased an oversized filter (TA-60) and a 2 speed pump (3/4 hp) after recommendation from TFP. With pump running on low speed for the solar all day, I get a nice warm and clean pool with little maintenance. Backwash about once a month usually using excess rain water.

It was very easy to drain for the winter. And I am very happy with it.

Jason

Hi!
Thank you very much ladies and gentlemens who voted on this pool, especially you that have left a note with your vote :-D
I have set the time to 10 days, so there is still time for YOU if you haven't filled in what filter you use. Thanks in advance!

Waste my friend! I have decided to install a Cartridge for my pool if it's not to over priced if I compare it to the sandfilter I can get everywhere here.
The reason for this poll is simply to show the swedish poolforum that you can filter your pool with a different type of filter than sand.
We had a major discussion there a few days ago. I seldom loose my temper when I'm infront a computer, but that day was I offended by a few users.They are simply claiming that there are no other filters for an outdoor pool than a sandfilter. Even if I link to this forum and cut out info I have got from users here who actually use and live with there filters doesen't help. I guess many of them are even surprised that there are any other filter to choose on for an outdoor pool. So I hope this poll will show a true result what TFP's members use.
So don't forget to vote :goodjob:

Regards Mats

We have a large 4-cartridge filter that came with our pool package. Didn't know any different at the time we purchased the pool. However, we have had no problems and it does a great job. We only clean the cartridges twice a year- once about mid-season, and at closing time before we store them.

Mats, kindly inform them from me that ANY of the filters will do the job, if properly sized to the pool and pump!

Some filters require more maintenance than others, but sand is NOT the only option!!

As with all things we encounter in our lives, there is always another way to do the job, that is just as viable, make your choice and forget about "what might have been" :-D (no sense looking back over your shoulder at the past when the future is wide open :thumleft: )

dlduvall said:
We have a large 4-cartridge filter that came with our pool package. Didn't know any different at the time we purchased the pool. However, we have had no problems and it does a great job. We only clean the cartridges twice a year- once about mid-season, and at closing time before we store them.

Hi dlduvall!
Impressive with your size of pool!
First I thought that you use 4 cartridge filters parallelly mounted. But when I re-read what you wrote did I understand that you have one large filter. May I ask about it's size?

Ted! I love what you wrote in your last post, I coulden't agree more. I try to live as much I can from that way of thinking but it's good to be reminded every now and then :handwave: :handwave:

Hi Mats! :wave:
We have a Hayward Swimclear filter, the largest size available. Inside the container is a group of 4 long cartridges which are held in place with a plastic part. We have to take off the lid, and take all the individual cartridges out and hose them down. We have soaked them in muriatic acid also, once when they got really nasty. (I found this great forum after my pool turned bright green :oops: The filters were pretty dirty. :shock: )
Anyway, its not hard to hose them off, just takes a bit of time. Luckily we dont have to do it very often. Hope that helps!
Really enjoying your pool build, by the way!

My pool came with a DE filter, I like the results and am replacing it with another DE filter. My current setup has no valve, so adding a valve and seperation tank to me sounds like maintenance will get much easier for me, since I always have to open my filter to clean right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.