HELP: PB added a stain remover...

jagger2005

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I am not sure what exactly it was and my water is suddenly way off. I have been maintaining the pool myself for the last 3+ weeks without any real issue.

Last Wed #s
FC 5
CC 0
PH 7.8 (I consistently add 35 oz of muriatic acid to knock this down to 7.8. by the next evening it is 7.8...repeat)
CH 475
TA 110
CYA 70

Mon #s
FC 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.5

On Tue he put in the stain remover while I was at work and did not bother to let me know. That evening I noticed the water looked cloudy - first time ever. Here are the initial #s
FC 0.5
CC 2.5
PH 6.8

So I was in freak out mode and added 1 gal liquid chlorine and turned the SWCG up to 100% Started brushing and noticed white plumes that looked like plaster dust. So I called PB and that is when I found out he added the stain remover. He said the stain remover was the only thing he added - a double dose. Before he handed the keys to me, we discussed some tan staining on the white plaster and he said he would take care of it. The fix was put on hold because I was having my roof replaced. He said the stains where from the sandy soil. I am having a hard time believing that...but back to my urgent concern.

SWCG ran all night at 100% and is still running. This morning:
FC 1
CC 5.5

Got some more liquid chlorine (8.25) and added it around an hour ago. Test 15 minutes ago:
FC 1
CC 8
Added another gallon

I cannot make contact with PB to find out what was in the stain remover.

Could the stain remover have phosphates in it?
I am concerned that the FC will not budge but the CC is still going up.
Should I just keep adding chlorine until the FC starts to stick?
Should I turn off the SWCG until I get this resolved?

- - - Updated - - -

Update

My other #s from last night
TA 70
CYA 70
CH 475

:calm:

I would turn off the SWG to save on the cell. Just keep adding the bleach until the FC holds. Use pool math to figure out the amount and test every 1/2 hour.

And send the bill to the PB. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The bleach is doing it's job. That's where the CC are from I'm sure. You really need to find out what was in it so we know how to react.

Thanks pabeader. Definitely attacking the plaster. Brush brush.

The reason I was wondering about phosphates in stain remover because in our conversation last night about my muriatic acid, ph, ta history, he commented to make sure I monitor the phosphates. Seemed like an odd comment. Just curious if a high dose of phosphates could actually remove stains and attack plaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My water finally cried UNCLE. Last gallon of bleach got me:

FC 4
CC 0

Have to get more bleach...and go back to work. Sigh

Should I just get it up to SLAM level and do OCLT to be safe?

Water is clear until I stir up plaster dust... and that is significantly less

Not sure about the phosphate comment. Maybe ChemGeek will chime in with a thought. But I know, normally TFPC ignores phosphates altogether. They don't normally matter because the FC is enough to keep the algae from getting a foothold.

I don't think he added phosphates. They won't directly lower chlorine. They would only feed algae to have it grow faster IF your FC/CYA level was below the minimum. If you keep your FC/CYA level at or above the minimum then you kill green and black algae faster than it can grow regardless of algae nutrient (phosphate, nitrate) level.

I think he just used a stain remover that has a high chlorine demand, probably meaning it gets broken down from chlorine rather quickly. It might be EDTA since that tends to break down from chlorine somewhat quickly and is one reason why we recommend using HEDP instead since it breaks down more slowly from chlorine.

I don't think you need to SLAM if you find your chlorine demand back to normal and don't have any other symptoms -- that is, your water is clear and you don't register abnormally high CC.

Chem geek, thanks for the response.
The other interesting development is my salt went from 3400 to 3700. I usually get a swing of 100 between water additions. Could the chlorine combined with sodium that might have been in the stain remover?
Everything seems back to normal. I.might just bump the FC to some number above 10 and do a OCLT just to verify.

Once again, thanks pabeader and Chem geek.

Thanks chem geek. It actually shows 100 ppm less on the aqua rite so it was probably irrelevant info.

Pushed my FC to 17 last night and did an OCLT. Got 17.5 this morning and 0 CC. So back to normal.

After clearing the plaster dust, his cleaning had no noticeable impact on the stains. So there's that

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.