Does the salt cell have to be the "highest point of plumbing?"

cozybuilder

Gold Supporter
Jan 20, 2015
Northeast Georgia
I am installing a Saline Generating Systems "Breeze 540" SWCG. I am about to install the salt cell on the return line. The installation manual says the cell "must be located above the highest point of plumbing." On another page the manual says, "The cell housing should be located 6 inches above the height of plumbing: in the event there is no heater, the cell should be located above the height of the filter inlet and outlets." (I do not have a heater, except for solar.) Is all this altitude actually required? My return line is 3 inches above the ground, whereas my filter lines are 39 inches above the ground, so if I'm understanding this correctly I must install 42 inch risers on my horizontal return line to raise the salt cell 6 inches above the filter lines? Really?

Thanks for any feedback.

Philip

I have not heard of this requirement before and I know many SWG cells are installed well below the highest point in the plumbing. I've seen several installations (in fact every one I've seen) where the SWG is installed just 6 inches to a foot off the pad while there are obviously return/suction lines running to the filter multiport valve that are well above that. At least two installations I've seen the SWG and the equipment pad are below the altitude/grade of the pool surface itself.

They're just using redundant safety systems. If there is some sort of malfunction, they don't want Hydrogen gas building up in the heater and pulling a Hindenburg on you. The manual I'm looking at says

The cell housing should be located 6 inches above the height of the heater: in the event there is no heater, the cell should be located above the height of the filter inlet and outlets.​

That shouldn't be so hard. It doesn't say above the filter, just above the filter plumbing.

Some places, like Australia, require a "gas trap" design. The cell contains a safety sensor that detects excess gas buildup.

The design traps gas in the cell and prevents the cell from generating more gas than what would cover the plates in the cell. Once the cell fills with gas (hydrogen gas and chlorine gas), no more can be made because the plates are not covered in salt water.

I would suspect that the system is manufactured by a company that makes systems for the Australian market.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Richard and James, your replies made a lot of sense to me, and I installed the salt cell per the directions. I'm glad I did--the housing is transparent and it is so easy to inspect the plates for build up with the cell so high off the ground! :)IMG_1882.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.