About to fill, what chemicals to start?

tamaralemus

Silver Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
Port Neches, TX
Hello all, first post here!

We are installing a larger pool, 22 feet x 52 inches Intex ultraframe ABG pool. Will be filling this weekend. Do I test the tap water and then add chemicals according to poolmath, or do I need to add a certain amount to "start" the chemical processes and then test and adjust accordingly?

Have no idea how much CYA or bleach to add to start off...

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks

Hi, welcome to TFP! Hopefully you have a good test kit such as a Taylor K2006 or TF 100 . Test the water in the pool once it is filled. Use PoolMath to determine what you need to balance the pool.

Poolmath is easy to use and will tell you how much chlorine, stabilizer, ect you need to add. Play around with it while you are waiting to fill the pool and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Test the fill water now. Just pH and TA, really. Save the CYA reagent because there won't be any CYA in tap water. And FC and CH aren't really useful yet, although some practice wouldn't hurt.

If the water has high pH - above 7.8 - and/or high TA - above 80 - you'll need some acid on hand. You may not need to add it immediately, but within a few days. Alternately, if pH is low - below 7.2 - you'll need some Borax or Washing Soda. If TA is low- below 60 or so - you'll be needing some baking soda on hand.

Baking Soda and Borax are not always necessary. I've never needed to add either one. They're not a miracle cure-all. So if the fill water doesn't show you need it, don't buy any.

You will need stabilizer aka CYA. A four pound canister will bring your level to about 46. Lucky you - you won't end up with a bunch of leftovers.

You will need bleach. Rough guess- maybe a third of a jug a day. So pick up three gallons to get you through the first week.

When the pool is full and circulating, you add a quart of 8.25% bleach. While that is mixing, you add the CYA using the sock method. Don't just pour it in the skimmer. By the time you're done fussing with that, the water should be pretty well mixed, and you can test pH and TA in the pool and adjust things according to poolmath. Half an hour after that, assuming the water is warm enough, hop in.

You can reasonably expect to lose all your FC the first day. Don't panic if you do. You have no CYA yet. Day two, you should have some in the water, so your FC target is 5 or 6. By day three, the sock should be empty and you want to target something like 7. Over time, you'll learn the pool's appetite. You want to target just high enough that it doesn't dip below 4 before the next time you test FC and add more bleach.

A week after adding it, run the CYA test. It should be somewhere between the 40 and 50 marks.

Pertinent Pool School articles:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
What to add and how to add it Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
How much to add Pool School - PoolMath

Thanks for the input. Had trouble finding this thread again!!

I did the CYA in the sock thing, using pool math's calculations, hardly any dissolved at all. I squeezed and messed with it near the skimmer and got at least 1/2 of it dissolved last night. Will test tonight and see if there's any registering. Had absolutely no chlorine, so added bleach per poolmath's suggestions...ph was a little low so added the recommended amount of soda ash. TA was low, so added the recommended amount of baking soda also. I do use the Taylor test kit, don't remember the model, but the big one!

Was kind of nervous, don't know the correct order to add things in, or if I should add one certain thing, then retest to adjust amounts of the 2nd, 3rd, etc. chemical? I do understand that CYA takes a week or two to accurately measure after adding it...other than that, I just write down everything the poolmath tells me to do and then just do it 1,2,3...Also, is there a mobile app for the poolmath?? That would be MUCH easier for me than being outside and trying to remember if it the 30 oz was be weight or volume!!! LOL

Don't even bother testing CYA yet. It's too soon. I have no idea why, but even after the sock is empty it won;t read correctly for a few days.

The important things are to keep the pH between 7.2 and 7.8 and maintain some FC in the water. As I said before, day 2 target 5 or 6 FC. When the CYA sock is empty, target 7 FC. After the week is up and you can measure the CYA, then maintain it according to the chart or poolmath.

You can run all the tests (except CYA - save the reagent) and post the results here and someone can guide you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.