My first pool is a trainwreck

Dney85

Jul 26, 2015
Denton, TX
Hi All! My wife and I just closed on a home with a pool. It's our first pool and I guess you can say there's only one way to learn how to do something- dive in! Puns aside, this pool is a train wreck from a preventative maintenance standpoint. The seller didn't do much from keeping chlorine and PH in check. DIY crack repairs, rust stains and calcium buildup are all over the place. The lights don't work. The heater and spa air blower don't work. There is minimal, at best, pressure coming from the return jets and they probably didn't add any chlorine the last week or so before we closed the sale. Lastly, the deck is pulling away from the coping and there are some major gaps between the two. Long story short, I have 25,000 gallons of tap water with algae starting to grow on the walls.

It goes without saying I will be a pain in the neck questions initially but I promise to research as much as I can before wasting everyone's time asking questions that have already been answered on the forum. Let's do this!

-Dustin N.
Denton, TX

20150706_191051.jpg
20150706_191121.jpg

Good luck with the new-to-you pool. As a new pool owner, you may want it all fixed right now, right away but take it one step at a time. Take control of you pool water chemistry first then worry about the structural and other problems later. Pool School is the place to start, specifically in ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. There's a wealth of information to help you take control of your pool. Check some of the articles in the Pool School - Pool Equipment section as well to help you get familiar with your pool equipment.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Hello Dney, and Welcome to TFP,

Your new pool is very pretty, and not to worry, you've come to the right place. Your questions are more than welcome. Feel free to ask them anytime you want.

Have a wonderful Night :)