Cooling Pool

Jul 31, 2009
Gonzales, La
So like everyone else here down south we are having 100+ degree days which is keeping the pool temp in the 90's during the day. My current pump schedule is 5am-5pm on low speed with a 1.5 hour cleaning cycle at mid speed. Normal circulation is with 5 returns in pool and (3) 1/2" bubblers on the sundeck which is cut back to minimal flow. I also have 4 deck jets I can turn on. I've seen the many different spray bars, pipes and or jets. Have even built a few myself. That's not the issue. Here's where my question come in at. Currently have two homemade spray bars on one side of the pool. So that takes up two of the 5 returns. What I am noticing is when those two spray bars are connected the other three returns in the pool pick up in velocity(easiest way out) and I don't get as good of a spray pattern from them as I would want. I could add spray bars to the other three returns as well fairly easily. But would that mess with my water chemistry?? Just not sure I could turn the pool over once a day with just the spray bars. Any suggestions??

Todd

It should not have any big effect, the whole turns per day thing is a rule of thumb that has been taken way too seriously by way too many people. Each pool is different on the amount of circulation it needs for adequate filtration and that one turn per day rule of thumb when it comes to pump sizing is in reality often WAY more flow than is needed. In general we suggest keep turning your filter run time down until you notice water clarity problems then bump the run time up a notch. Many members here get by on only 3-4 hours of pump run time per day, often the limiting factor is skimming action and not actually filtration.

At least part of the south is having what I would call, a fairly mild summer. I think in middle TN, we're on our fourth cold front since the beginning of July. We've had some stretch of days in the mid 90s for highs, low-to-mid 70s for lows, which is about average for July/August. However, each of these 4 fronts coming through right in the middle of what is usually the hottest days for us, have broken up those mid-90 days and have brought us a couple of days relief, bringing in mid 80s and low 60s or even upper 50s, respectively. I think though, if I remember correctly, most of these fronts have stayed east of the big river, so I guess it's been much different farther west.

We're currently on the second morning of our fourth cold front where the jet stream has dropped down into the southeast. The current temperature in Cookeville, as I write, is 59. During the last cold front, I got in my 7500 gallon pool; looked at the temp. gauge; it showed 72. It'll probably go even lower this time around.

Overall, down towards Nashville-Atlanta-Huntsville direction, it's not been very hot. I'm looking at the forecast this week for Nashville; highs are showing 89-90-91-88; not exactly typical for mid-August on this eastern end. Not sure how these fronts have affected folks in the east end deeper down south, but in the mid-south, it's been much milder than usual.

What I am noticing is when those two spray bars are connected the other three returns in the pool pick up in velocity(easiest way out) and I don't get as good of a spray pattern from them as I would want.
You could reduce the size of your eyeball fittings on the other returns. You could even make a temporary cap over one or all of them to force the flow out of the spray bars.

If your main concern is water chemistry, simply try it and see what develops. You'll likely get some pH rise but that's easy to deal with. Your TA may drop but that is easily dealt with also.

I have a friend with an older pool in which his "returns" are just straight unthreaded pipes set back in the plaster. He can't put an eyeball on them or close them off with a capped one. He shoves wine bottle corks in them to get his aerating pressure up!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.