Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Readings

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Readings

Currently it appears my salt generator is reflecting a lower salt reading than the salt test strips I have on hand; approx. 500-800ppm lower. Is this common and typically which would prove more reliable?
    Steve
    Atlanta, GA

Inground Vinyl, 30,000 gallon, 20x40 Lagoon, Pentair Single Speed 1-1/2 hp Superflow, Pentair SD 80 Sand Filter, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ Booster pump, Pentair Easytouch.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Readings

The test strips are normally more precise. Electronic sensors often read low when the water is cold and are +-400 or so in any case.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. I'll keep an eye on the SWG salt reading as the water temp. begins to rise. For now I'll rely on the strips.
    Steve
    Atlanta, GA

Inground Vinyl, 30,000 gallon, 20x40 Lagoon, Pentair Single Speed 1-1/2 hp Superflow, Pentair SD 80 Sand Filter, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ Booster pump, Pentair Easytouch.

4. Back To Top    #4

Definitely go with the strip. The cell only infers the salt level based on conductivity of the water and, as Jason said, that changes with temp, and it can also be affected by scale deposits on the cell itself.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have also had the salt readings change with pH changes! Small but was enough to shut down the SWCG at the time!
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Good info. Sounds like I need to buy the strips.
    The avatar is Spalding from Caddyshack
    18x36 vinyl IG - approximately 24000 gal
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    (3) 4'x12' Aquatherm solar panels
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]