Jul 19, 2015
Southaven Ms
Current levels

FC = 11
CYA = 40
CC = 0
CH = 60
TA = 60

Started with a green mess after a 2 week vacation and found my CYA to be 100 plus so I did a partial drain and fill and got it down to 30. ( I used pucks and shock prior to vacation) I started the slam process and have been going strong for 2 weeks. The pool turned blue but remained cloudy. I keep the slam going but I started to slack during the 3rd week after passing OCLT with zero and CC of 0. I've keep the chlorine levels high but they've drifted above and below slam level during the last week. I've been brushing and vacuuming often. Each day there is fine gray/sand colored stuff throughout the pool....I'm not sure what it is. Within the past 3-4 days I've started to add DE....it seems to help some but I still can't get it to clear. I can barely see the drain in the deep end in the morning. Any ideas? I know the CH and TA are low....should I raise them. Also, I cheated a bit and the last few days I've been slamming with powder shock "Chlorox bleach brand" I figured it would be good to get the CYA up a bit anyways so it couldn't hurt right?

Any pointers would be great! Thanks for the all the useful info!

Michel

I can't say that I've noticed any rattling but that might explain the sand substance in the pool right?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll check for rattling tomorrow. The more I think about it, the substance is finer than sand....when i brush it it clouds up into the water....if it was sand would it do that? I need to get in the pool and feel to see if its grainy or not.

You have meet all 3 criteria to end a SLAM, you did meet the no CC and the 0 loss on OCLT, but if the water is not clear the SLAM is not over. It sets you back some when you let the CL level drop too soon.

Current levels

FC = 11
CYA = 40
CC = 0
CH = 60
TA = 60

Started with a green mess after a 2 week vacation and found my CYA to be 100 plus so I did a partial drain and fill and got it down to 30. ( I used pucks and shock prior to vacation) I started the slam process and have been going strong for 2 weeks. The pool turned blue but remained cloudy. I keep the slam going but I started to slack during the 3rd week after passing OCLT with zero and CC of 0. I've keep the chlorine levels high but they've drifted above and below slam level during the last week. I've been brushing and vacuuming often. Each day there is fine gray/sand colored stuff throughout the pool....I'm not sure what it is. Within the past 3-4 days I've started to add DE....it seems to help some but I still can't get it to clear. I can barely see the drain in the deep end in the morning. Any ideas? I know the CH and TA are low....should I raise them. Also, I cheated a bit and the last few days I've been slamming with powder shock "Chlorox bleach brand" I figured it would be good to get the CYA up a bit anyways so it couldn't hurt right?

Any pointers would be great! Thanks for the all the useful info!

Michel

-First off- how are you testing your levels? Which type of test kit? You should be using liquid chlorine only to SLAM.

-For a NON-SWG pool, your SLAM level is 16 (based on CYA of 40) so it looks like you're way under that and haven't really been keeping it high enough to kill all the algae. A SLAM is not done untll the pool is clear which you say yours never was, although you passed the OCLT. (Don't bother doing an OCLT till it is clear)

-What is your pH? Did you adjust that before starting your "SLAM"?

Yea, I just retested the CYA tonight and it reads 40. Taylor 2006 kit. When I first started it was 30 and the PH was 7.2 I've been slamming at levels 12 to 16 for 2 weeks. The only thing I can think is that the CYA moved up to 40 shortly after and the slam levels weren't quite high enough?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.