Pump Question

Jun 2, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I have a Hayward Super II Pump, 1 HP, that came with the house/pool. Of course, I live in AZ, so strong sunshine 300+ days a year. Background story: We were having trouble with it leaking out the bottom and overheating and shutting itself off and decided to change out the shaft seal. I gave the fiance that job (he's pretty mechanically inclined) and I was going to have a go at the cartridge filter, not that I thought it needed cleaning, I just wanted to take it apart and get comfortable doing it. We did all this on Saturday. The grounding wire on the pump motor is pretty much permanently attached, so fiance had to sit on the ground (in the sun) and change out the seal. Because he was right there, I didn't open the filter because I didn't want to flood the area he was working in. So we got the shaft seal replaced and pretty sure everything is back correctly. Pump still runs, but still leaks (although less than before) and still runs HOT. Tested it before I tackled the filter and it shut off after 5-10 min of pumping. So he went inside to research some more and I started messing with the filter. The pool guy we had cleaned it out in June and told me that it shouldn't need cleaning for a year. Well, we have sandstorms and tree litter and palm tree fibers, so it should not have been a surprise to see that the cartridges were pretty filthy. I did not have a starting pressure since I wasn't really paying attention and was letting the pool guy handle it. Needless to say, I know better now and cleaned and sprayed those cartridges out for hours, it seemed like. Got them back in, started everything back up after fiance did some more tightening of things in the pump motor and now the pump will run for hours without shutting off, but still seeps water and you cannot put your hand on it for longer than a couple of seconds it is so hot. Obviously the filter was too dirty and caused the pump to try to work too hard and shut itself off before it burned out and I will now be paying close attention to pressures in the future.

My ultimate question is... are we looking at a pump that is working on going out soonish? We got a good warranty with the house, so replacing it isn't going to be a huge issue, I don't think. I now have a shade cover over it to keep the sun off it, but it still gets real hot. Is it "normal" for pump motors to be that hot here in AZ?

Pump motors do run somewhat hot, but it sounds like yours is running excessively hot. The pump is way oversized for your pool. It uses too much power under good conditions. With the excessive temperature, it's wasting even more electricity.

I would go with one of the smaller variable speed pumps. They are quiet, efficient and can be tuned to the flow rate needed under variable conditions.

We're going to look into that when it finally "dies." For now, I'm running it on a timer only over night since we are gone on vacation and won't be back til next week. It actually has run fine the last few days we were there, so I really don't know. Leak has gone back to a seep and the warranty won't replace anything that is still working, so we'll just keep on keeping on! Thanks for the input, will definitely be looking into a 2-speed or VSP for the eventual replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.