Pentair Superflo VS - setting up to use heater and salt system

Ralph

Aug 1, 2015
Oakville, Ontario
I just replaced my old pump with a Pentair Superflo VS. I really like the pump. Is there a manual override that can stay in that mode until I turn it off so that I can run the heater and superchlorinate the pool? I'd like to run the pump at Program #3, which in my case is 2200 rpm.

Thanks.

Sorry you have not gotten a response.

I do not know the answer to your question. I know you can manually turn on speed 3 but I do not know how long it will stay on. Have you checked the manual?

My intelliflo is controlled by my Solartouch but I am able to select a different speed from the pump control panel when the pump is not under active control, which is solar on. I can't change speed settings or rpm from the pump but I can change it from speed 1 to speed 3 or 4 that I use for brushing the pool bottom and it stays there as long as the Solartouch is idle. As soon as the Solartouch engages again it changes the pump speed.

What happens when you push speed 3? I would think it would override the program until the next start/stop time. Altough, if I change speed when my Solartouch has the pump it changes back within seconds.

Ralph,

One option would be to use the optional wiring kit Pentair P/N 353129Z. This kit allows you to take 5 Vdc out of the Superflo through a relay or switch and then back into the Superflo on one of four inputs. Each input selects a different speed. These external inputs override the program and will run the pump at the selected speed until removed. Check out the specifics in your manual under "External Digital Control.

Let me know if you need any additional info and I'll see what I can find.

Jim R.

Ralph,

One option would be to use the optional wiring kit Pentair P/N 353129Z. This kit allows you to take 5 Vdc out of the Superflo through a relay or switch and then back into the Superflo on one of four inputs. Each input selects a different speed. These external inputs override the program and will run the pump at the selected speed until removed. Check out the specifics in your manual under "External Digital Control.

Let me know if you need any additional info and I'll see what I can find.

Jim R.

HI Jim,

I've been trying to figure out if I can get away with buying the Superflow VS and still use a SolarTouch to change the speed of the Superflow VS pump while it's calling for solar heat. I've run across a post stated you use the wire kit you mentioned. Hook it to the SuperFlow VS and wire the yellow and red leads inside the solartouch to the "solar pump" terminals and use the internal relay (that I'm guessing normally signals the booster pump). This way no extra relay is needed.

here's a comment from someone who bought the wiring kit
To control the SuperFlo pump via the SolarTouch control panel, wire the Red and Yellow wires to the Solar Pump Relay inside the SolarTouch control panel. That's it, those are the only two wires you need for the SuperFlo pump and the SolarTouch control panel. Whenever the SolarTouch activates solar heating it will kick the SuperFlo pump into speed setting program #2, and whenever the SolarTouch turns off solar heating it will revert back to the normal timed program. No need to buy a second booster pump, or the more expensive variable speed pumps just to increase head flow volume to the solar panels when they are activated.

What's your experience? Any thoughts on how to successfully hook these two together?

Thanks

Gone,

I do NOT use the relay cable kit, since I only have Intelliflo pumps. But, I have to "assume" that the SolarTouch has the ability to control a single speed pump, so I suspect this is done via a relay.

Let me see of I can find any additional info..

Jim R.

Gone,

I do NOT use the relay cable kit, since I only have Intelliflo pumps. But, I have to "assume" that the SolarTouch has the ability to control a single speed pump, so I suspect this is done via a relay.

Let me see of I can find any additional info..

Jim R.

So, it appears to me that the Superflo has an "External Control" connector. Pentair makes cable P/N 353129Z, sold by Sunplay for about $50.. that plugs into the connector.

The Superflo provides 5 volts to the connector which comes out the Red wire on the cable.

You would then wire this five volt DC output to the input of the "Booster pump" relay inside the SolarTouch.

Connect the output of the booster pump relay to one of the 3 speed inputs on the cable.. Green wire for Speed1, Yellow for Speed 2, Orange for Speed 3.

When the SolarTouch turns on the Booster pump relay, the Superflo will ramp up to whatever Speed (color) where the five volts was connected.

So, the Superflo would work off of it's internal time clock schedule until the SolarTouch turned on the solar system, which in turn would turn on the Booster Pump relay, which would ramp the Superflo up to the desired speed.

When the booster pump relay is de-energized, the SuperFlo will return to its normal schedule.

Looks like it should work to me... What am I missing?

Jim R.

Looks like it should work to me... What am I missing?

Jim R.

Thanks Jim!!!
I appreciate the work you put in...it kept looking like it should work...but never seeing either unit before...I wasn't sure. This is great information you gave out...thanks again!

Thanks pooldv for all the info and help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I just successfully installed a solar touch with a superflo pump. Just as said above the com wire was wired into the booster pump relay and worked perfect.

The only issue I ran into was the actuator turned the 3 way valve 180 degrees. Which was wound up turning the water flow completely off. I had to open up the actuator and move the little cam things so the actuator only turned 90 degrees. Which changes the flow between passthrough and solar panels, and never completely blocks the flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.