Green Algae

Jun 1, 2015
Dayton/VA
Hello All,

I need some help and I think I know the answer based on other readings but wanted to ask. I am seeing little bits of green algae in the pool and it is cloudy. Here are my readings as I tried to shock it but I don't think I am getting at high enough levels.

FC=25
CC=0
TC=25
TA=120
PH=7.5
CYA=100

Any help anyone anyone can help with would be great.

Thanks,
Jeff

Adding something called "Shock" is like spittin' in the wind. Its just not going to last but hours in which time the algae will have eaten it all up! What you need to do is perform a SLAM procedure. That is where you raise your FC level up to an appropriate level based on your CYA stabilizer level, and then maintain it at the high level until the pool is clear.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Which test kit are you using and how sure of those numbers are you? Your CYA is seriously high, in fact may be higher than you think cause the test doesn't read higher than 100......to figure out how high it truly is: take equal parts of tap water and pool water and mix. Then use this mixed water as your pool sample water and do the CYA test again but doubling the results. If it truly is this high, you may have to resign yourself to draining some water out and replacing it with CYA-free water.

Any questions?? :)

Yes, the key is to get it to the proper high level and hold it there, without letting it slip below the target value as outlined by the SLAM procedure. As soon as it does, the Algae makes a comeback.

Thanks for the help. I did the test per your request with the tap water and I got 50 so doubled would be 100. I am using the TF-100 testing kit. Per the SLAM information I need to get the CF level to 39. Are there issues with that or do I just proceed? I do have another question - how come I am not seeing anything with my CC levels? I figured with the little bit of algae in the pool I would see something at the CC level.

Jeff

HI! Great job getting the good test kit! You just thought your pool was clear before! Wait until you see how clear we can help you get it!

CC---weird huh but it happens a lot. That is why CC is only ONE of 3 "tests" to see if pool is "clear".

CC less than .5
Overnight loss of less than 1ppm FC
Clear water and no stuff on the bottom.

Here is a link to the overnight test.
Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

With your CYA being so high you would be better off draining some of your water. At FC of 39 is going to take a LOT of bleach to get and keep it there all of the time until your SLAM is done.

Here is a link to a neat tool to help you figure out how much water to drain to get your CYA down to 30.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Let us know if you have ANY other questions.

Kim

SLAMming the pool with 100 CYA is very troublesome and at the end you still end up with a CYA of 100,,,,,not good. If it were my pool I would drain 50% of the water right now and refill to get the CYA to 50 ppm. OP will still have enough FC in the pool to hold SLAM value as it drains.

Once refilled, the SLAM value will then be around 24 and OP will have better luck at that level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.