SW Washington
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Let me start off by saying that I am a nurse. I took a full college course in chemistry and had the minimum passing grade. It is just not something that clicks for me. Now I will get to what may be an extremely dumb question.

I have in my pool chemical stash a bottle of 7 lb Kemtek PH Minus. It is from appoximately 2 years ago and since purchasing it haven't used it again. It says on the front "Dry Acid". Since my pH is 7.8 I was planning on bringing it down (from my poolcalc numbers) When I opened the jug it was liquid which confused me because I expected a powder. I poured 28 oz into my measuring cup and figured I would do some more investigating.

The more I research the more I think that container should have contained powder. Have I totally lost my mind? There's no way a bottle of powder could become a bottle of liquid, right:confused:? But why would they call it dry acid if it were a liquid? I have Googled like crazy and not found the answer I am looking for.

I had a container of dry acid once that sat in a very warm storage shed for over a year. When I went to dispose of it there was a small (about 1\2 inch) pool of liquid on top of it. It definitely was not water.
The powder underneath had formed into a solid brick.

Possibly the humidity from the air had an effect?

I would not use that acid in your pool. Best to purchase some new.

I had a container of dry acid once that sat in a very warm storage shed for over a year. When I went to dispose of it there was a small (about 1\2 inch) pool of liquid on top of it. It definitely was not water.
The powder underneath had formed into a solid brick.

Possibly the humidity from the air had an effect?

I would not use that acid in your pool. Best to purchase some new.

Will definitely be getting some new acid and it makes me feel better that you had a simliar experience. I am sure sitting in a hot shed over two summers is not ideal conditions. I was just excited that I had it handy and didn't have to run to the store. I do regret putting it in now that I know something wasn't right. I woulder what my tests results will be later today when I am able to retest? :pale: Hmm...interesting.

Dry Acid is a milder acid than Muriatic Acid. Dry Acid is Sodium Bisulphate and Muriatic Acid is Hydrochloric Acid.

Some people don't want to use Dry Acid in the pool because it can build up sulfates which may be damaging.

Muriatic Acid is safe to use, with all the normal precautions listed on any chemical bottle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.