replace motor with smaller HP?

DATKAT

Jul 14, 2015
El Cajon, CA
I have a failing Hayward Hydromax SPLE40016 pump motor (1.5HP). Some time ago, a pool "professional" suggested that I replace it with a .75HP pump. We have no water features or solar. What things do I need to figure out in order to replace this motor?
All input greatly welcome.

With no water features or solar, a 3/4hp full rated pump is probably plenty big enough.

If you're just considering replacing the motor and keeping the wet end you'll also need to replace the impeller and shaft seal as well as the diffuser.

- - - Updated - - -

Also being that you're in Cali, I don't think you can replace it with a single speed model. You need at least a 2-speed.

Understood and thanks. Also, love the comment about OCLT and SLAMming in your footer. One of the other areas I am just learning about...

With no water features or solar, a 3/4hp full rated pump is probably plenty big enough.

If you're just considering replacing the motor and keeping the wet end you'll also need to replace the impeller and shaft seal as well as the diffuser.

- - - Updated - - -

Also being that you're in Cali, I don't think you can replace it with a single speed model. You need at least a 2-speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.