Skimmer Question

reindeerboy

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2008
Jamestown, ND
To explain my questions, I have to explain that we just got an inch of rain and then a foot of snow. So, what that did was put weight on my pool meyco mesh cover. So I grabed a broom and pulled off what I could but this put it into the water and when I seen that I got a little concerned as it seemed a bit high. My delima is that I cannot get under the cover to do anything due to the ice and snow on the cover. My thought is the SKIMMER.

I had drained it way down upon closing the pool and put a jug of pool antifreeze half full and its upside down in the skimmer just in case water does get high enough that it dumps some in the skimmer.

My plan is as soon as it melts that huge amount of Ice and snow off the cover, I will then be able to take open a corner and pump some water out, but until then do you all think that the skimmer will be OK for about 3 weeks as that is about when the warmer weather will arive allowing me to open the cover and take care of business.

I just a little worried about it right now and this freakin weather is causing flooding and other issues that I have been having to deal with here in ND. I am not in Fargo, but I am in Jamestown and the water table is very high right now.

Sucks, but not much I can really do right?

I could try to open a corner but I may not be able to put that strap back into its rightfull place.

what do you all thinK?

Sorry, I'm not quite clear. You want to access the pool to get the extra water out because of freeze concerns and you're thinking about doing so through the skimmer opening? Or you're worried about water getting into the skimmer and then it freezing?

Sorry. I am worried about the water. I would like to get in the pool and pump some water out but cannot do so until the ice and snow that is currently on the cover is melted of. I cannot even get into the skimmer because everything is frozen due to the rain and then the snow we just got.

As soon as I can get into the cover, I plan to pump some water out but that may not happen for another few weeks so I cam worried about the water level. I hope that the skimmer would be OK with the bottle of antifreeze that is currently in the skimmer.

Does that help? Thanks

Sounds like the skimmer will be ok to me. I take it it's only held in place by the antifreeze that's in it? So it'll stay submerged about 6" or so, so as long as you're not going to get freezing beyond that you should be good.

Thanks for the reassurance. Stupid weather has everyone around here going crazy! :grrrr:

Yea, it froze now so I cant do anything even if I wanted to.

Once it starts to thaw all out and I can get under the cover, then I plan to pump a bit of water out just to be sure that everything is OK.

Another option I thought of is to open the cover to the skimmer once the ice melts off it so I can get in there and suck out any water that hapens to be in there and then put the jug back in there with the antifreeze in it.

I have to give "waste"-Ted credit as he was the one who told me to put rocks in the bottle first to help weight it down in case water does happen to get in there.

Thanks again for the reassurance. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.