How clean do the grooves need to be to replace a spider gasket? It's kinda messy now.

MitchRyan912

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Madison, WI
Do I need to get every little bit of the old gasket, glue, etc out before I put in the new gasket?
image.jpg

Is the damage to this channel a potential problem?
View attachment 41523

Im assuming this old gasket is pretty bad, but am replacing it either way to be safe.
image.jpg

I'm heading to work to pick up some Permatex 80022 gasket maker to install it later this afternoon.

That looks pretty good to me. You want it as clean as you can reasonably get it, but a little residue is expected, and that picture is an example of a fairly good cleaning.

The little bit of damage to that web shouldn't be a problem at all.

Depending on the specific model of the multiport, Pentair recommends gluing the spider gasket in place. They recommend Loctite 401 or 416, but the Permatex should work as long as you don't get carried away with it.

I got the gasket sealed in with Permatex, and the valve top installed (finger tight.) Do I need to wait a while to fire up the system, or can I turn it on shortly after doing this? I used a ton of silicone grease on the valve top, and it seems to be sliding pretty well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.