Slam causing extra salt in salt water pool

fury81

Aug 8, 2015
Charlotte
I am in day 2 of my first SLAM. The water was already pretty clear when I started but the FC was non existent and the CC was 1.5, so I decided to SLAM. I have added about 20 bottles of 121 oz bleach over the first two days. And if each bottle is raising my salt by 13, then that might be why my salt numbers are high. Currently my salt value is 3600 on my panel and 3800 when I do the test myself.

Since my SWG chlorine percentage is set to 0, it is basically off and the excess salt won't hurt it, right? So should I continue the SLAM and then after it is completely done, fix the salt value then by draining some water and adding some new water?

Just want to make sure I am doing this right. Also, does 20 bottles of bleach sound bad? Seems like a lot but I'm using the pool math calculator to help me figure it out.

Thanks as always for the help.

Yep...Once slam is done and you have let your FC drop to maintenance levels, you can address your SWG and salt levels. Most SWG's are good up to 4200 to 4500 ppm of salt, so check your manual. My Sollax doesn't complain until > 4500. Easiest is just to turn it on and see if it complains. If it does, then exchange some water.

As for whether 20 bottles is excessive, we would need to know your CYA level and how much Algae and CCs you started with.

Here is the results I had before starting slam:
Water looked pretty clear. Some iron stains are on the bottom. No real visible algae. Reason for the SLAM is I think my salt cell stopped working and when we added a new one it still couldn't get any FC into the pool.

CYA: 75
PH: 7.2
FC: 0.5
CC:1.0

The other values were normal I believe (should have written them down - lesson learned).

I agree with Robert, I would wait till slam is over and then double check salt levels. If your SWG is happy with that number I would leave it as you will probably dilute it with rain fall or replacement due to evaporation and splashout.

I would also add that my SWG will show 3800 and after it's been generating all day in the sun it will show 3600 and then eventually go back to 3800. I assume that as it turns salt to chlorine the level drops until it is turned back into salt.

At least that's what I tell myself ;)

If your SWG is happy with that number I would leave it as you will probably dilute it with rain fall or replacement due to evaporation and splashout.

Just one minor nitpick. Salt level will stay the same due to evaporation and refill....Only the water evaporates, not the salt, so when you put water back in you still have the same salt levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.