LifeTime Supporter
Mar 13, 2015
Savannah GA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I had our inground installed a little less than a year ago. This summer, it has started forming what I think would be divets on the floor. This spots vary in size from the size of a quarter to one that is the size of my foot. I called the builder as it is under warranty, and they replied that I could really do anything till the time comes when the liner needs to be replaced.They also stated that my liner would be fine. So my question is, is this normal, and are they correct? Since it's under warranty, would you demand they come out and fix it, or just have them put in writing that they will cover all replacement costs if the divets cause the liner to fail. I think they just didn't tamp the ground well enough before putting the liner in. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I don't know if they would be responsible if the liner failed due to divots under the liner. Those divots could be due to poor ground prep or they could be from ground water eroding the floor under the pool, or moles or other burrowing animals tunneling under the pool.

Liners are made to stretch a good deal so the divots probably will not hurt the liner. You may want to investigate and see if there is anything causing similar divots in the yard.

zea3 hit it right on all points. I would investigate for burrowing animals and if that's not the case, see where your pool is located as to whether you could be in a spot where the water table could be high underneath. My first guess if the divots don't get real big or you don't have numerous others show (like a mini sink hole :eek:) is that they probably didn't do enough prep work on the soil before installing.

As zea3 pointed out the liner should stretch enough to compensate for them. BUT they can be real annoying and I personally would think they should address it if it is poor prep.

The thing I would worry about if it is water "gathering" underneath, would be if it could cause the bottom of the liner to "float" as it can in an inground liner. But from what you are describing I would tend to think that is not your problem.

Hope that helps, let us know what you find out, as I'm am curious :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.