Re: Should I run my pool pump 24 hrs\day?

Aug 11, 2015
Potomac, MD

I have been running mine for 24 hours a day. If I want to run 8 hours a day, is it better to run 8 hours straight (e.g. overnight) or 4 hours at a time (e.g. morning and evening)?

Also, is it better to run during the daytime or overnight?

Breaking your run time up into 2 or 3 sessions can certainly be beneficial for maintaining more even chlorination, circulation and better skimming action. Time of day doesn't matter a great deal but at I have my two run times set so that I can test/dose in the early morning or near sunset. Some cities/regions have different electric rates that are lower during off-peak demand hours so if your area has them, align your pump run times with the cheaper time slots as practical.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I have been running mine for 24 hours a day. If I want to run 8 hours a day, is it better to run 8 hours straight (e.g. overnight) or 4 hours at a time (e.g. morning and evening)?

Also, is it better to run during the daytime or overnight?

what kind of pump do you have? is it a single speed, 2 speed or variable speed? that makes a difference too. if its single speed (which I have), I run it no longer than 6 hours a day.

For the first month after opening, I ran the pump 24/7 (new to pools this year). I now run it 2 hours around noon (to circulate water when the sun is intense on the solar cover) and 3 hours in the evening (to circulate when I'm adding bleach). There is no noticeable difference in the water from when I ran 24/7.

Our builder disabled the Power Center timer for the first WEEK to run the pump on highspeed 24/7 - this was to help the Pebble cure and to avoid any staining from sediment, as well to start off the water conditioning.

Now that it's been up and running for almost a month, I've reduced the pump run time considerably to avoid high electric bills. The pump runs based on when we use the pool, as I like it running highspeed when I'm out there before work in the morning and sweeping, and again in the afternoon when I get home. Both highspeed run times maximize cleaning just before we tend to swim - which is personal preference.

Then, overnight hours (and off-peak electric rate) the pump runs in lowspeed mode to circulate and in-floor clean. Without a SWG, I don't have to run the pump to chlorinate. My pump schedule looks like this:

5a-7a - Highspeed for cleaning, skimming & manual sweeping
4p-6p - Highspeed for cleaning, skimming & manual sweeping
7p-5a - Lowspeed for circulation and less vigorous cleaning

Being a new pool, I think I have a low tolerance for 'snow-globe' and sediment, so I'm probably overdoing the pump cycle timing, but the pool is clean! I'm not sure I could afford to run it 24/7 on high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.