Stenner Auto Chlorinator Questions

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
Stenner Pumps- Operating Pressure/ Model Differences?

These four threads have been merged into one since they are all related to automating using a Stenner injection pump. Please keep all related topics together. It makes it easier to see what's been asked and what's been answered. Bama

I'm starting to get interested in possible doing either a Liquidator or Stenner Pump Feed System. Looking at Stenner's website, I can't find any significant difference between the 45 series and the 85 series. There's minor differences in output, but the 85 covers almost all of the 45's range, and prices are the same (at least on the site I looked at). Both are offered in 25 or 100psi models- what is a typical pressure that these run at when used as chlorine feeders?

Re: Stenner Pumps- Operating Pressure/ Model Differences?

They run at a fraction higher than the operating pressure of the pool return pressure. The only increase in pressure above the return pressure is the force it takes to open the check valve or duck bill, which is almost negligible.

Re: Stenner Pumps- Operating Pressure/ Model Differences?

I am relatively new to this, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

1. I don't think it really makes a big difference between the 45 or 85 series. As you stated, there is a huge overlap between the two.

2. 25 vs 100 psi. If you are feeding the chlorine BEFORE the filter, I would go with the 100 psi. I have seen my filter pressure go above 25 psi before. After the filter, I don't think it matters.

With that said - I ended up going with a Stenner 45MHP10 for $299 from ChemWorld. Even though I am feeding my acid on after the filter, I picked the high pressure so that if I change my mind, I have the option to feed it before the filter. I went with the 45 because the slower rate at which it pumps. So if I ever want to re-purpose this pump for my aquarium, it would be better suited than the 85.

The extra that I did add on was 100 ft of black UV resistant 1/4 tubing. AK4010B 1/4" Diameter - 100' UV Black Chemical Tubing from Chemworld.

Auto-feeder tank in direct sun

I'm considering a Stenner or Liquidator auto feed system. The problem is that the pad with the timer, pump and filter is in direct sun for most of the day. Is this a problem with anyone else? Do I get a darker tanks to shield from the sun, which would make the tank hotter, build an enclosure, which would get pretty hot inside as well, or any other solutions? There's really no other practical place to put it....

I have a few questions about a Stenner auto chlorinator system:
-Is it correct that the Stenner should share the timer that controls the pool pump? I'm thinking I'd wire a switch to the timer, connected to the Stenner, that allows me to turn the Stenner off if needed.
-I currently have a Hayward auto chlorinator that I have turned off. This taps into the lines before and after the filter. Since there are connections in both places already, which would be preferred (or doesn't it matter)?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You don,t want the chemical pump running without water flow so many connect the chemical pump to the circulation pump timer. The Stenner has a switch on it so an additional switch is not necessary. I have a separate timer.

After the filter is preferred.

Thanks. I kind of like the idea of using the pump timer. This way I can dose it for about a quart of bleach during the standard time that I run the pump when the pool is not used for the day (about 5 hours). When the pool is uncovered and being used, I turn on the pump, so this would add an extra dose to make up for loss due to sunlight, etc

I noticed in the one link, it was mentioned they used a 45MHP2 with a #1 tube. I was reading the manual, and it looks like a 45MHP2 be converted to a 45MHP10 by changing to a #2 tube- is this right? I wouldn't anticipate needing to do this, but it makes the decision easier about which pump to get- if I need the bigger one, at least I wouldn't need to completely replace the pump.

Intermatic T100 Series Wiring - Controlling Stenner

The more I read on here about Stenner installations, the more questions I have. The latest thing I read was that the adjustable pumps are noisy and wear faster than the fixed displacement pumps, so I'm considering what it takes to use a fixed displacement pump with a timer. I currently have an Intermatic T101P 120V timer. I read on there that you can add another T100 series and wire the clock to unswitched 120V, but the load to the timer controlling the circulation pump (I think these were 220V systems). Looking at Intermatic's wiring diagram, shown here: http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/Intermatic/Documentation/Time_Switches/Mechanical_Time_Switches/24_Hour/T100_Series/T101P_Instructions.pdf
It looks to me like the output power picks up the clock power- I don't see a way to separate them. Is this actually possible with the 120V system?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.