ITCHY BURNING SKIN IN POOL

Mar 17, 2009
We have a commercial indoor swimming pool with a autopilot salt generator. First we want to thank everyone for their help on our last post. We have solved the problem with coughing due to an oversizing of the equipment. We are now operating 2 salt cells at 50% instead of 4 at 100%. The only problem we still have is that our female teachers are haveing itchy burning skin in the pool. None of the male instructors are affected. Does anyone know why this would happen. Free chlorine is kept at a 1.5 - 2.0. PH at 7.6 water temp is kept at 90 degrees. Again only the female instructors are having this problem. We have 7 females total and 6 of them have the problem

The weird part is we have 2 locations. The only one that affects them like this is that location. The other is an indoor pool as well but using tabs, not a salt system. We aren't sure its the salt that is causing it because before we got salt at that location, they still had the same problem. Any ideas on what to try or what to check for? Would phosphates have anything to do with it? Or should we drain the pool and start over, willing to try anything. Oh ya it only affects the teachers, the kids aren't bothered by it.

Glad that i was correct on the previous issue :-D

Do both pools have same water chemistry?
Could it be that females are more sensitive to the level of chlorine than men?
I know when we go to pool with my partner she always feels it, and i never do :)

I was totally serious about the power of suggestion thing... You said the "problem" existed prior to the salt system. How many complained at the time? How many complained after the switch to SWG? My first thought was when they learned a "new" system/product was being used, one perhaps complained of a itchy/burning sensation and then the others "thought" they felt it too. The fact that the kids aren't complaining.....Is there visible evidence, does anyone have a rash?

I've swam/swum ( :oops: ) in all types of sanitized (or not) water, and never noticed a difference, if anything I thought the saltwater pool had the best feel to the skin....very soothing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They are showing rash marks on their arms and legs. They all have went to the doctor and were prescribed cortozone creame and that seems to be the only cream that helps. The last doctor told one of the teachers that there is a bacteria in the water. Crazy stuff. Running facilities for 12 years and have never expericenced anything like it. What to do? Is there anywhere we can send our water to get a full testing done on it?

What are you testing with now? If you can't run a full set, a nearby pool store could do it. You need to do it within a relatively short time frame or the accuracy could be in question. If the FC is at the proper level I can't believe bacteria could regularly survive... that seems odd.

So back to testing, what kind of test kit do you have now?

I would think fiberglas would affect everyone, not just the womenfolk.

I would expect a chemical problem to affect both sexes as well, but either way, a lot of guys have less sensitive skin than many gals. I am just brainstorming, and when there didn't seem to be a water-chemical cause, I started looking at the environment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.