calcium chloride & stabilizer

Yes, both products are the correct items. You might be able to find cheaper CYA or CH Increaser without the "Clorox" name on the label, but the ingredients are the same.

Both items can be found at Walmart or Lowes usually.

I get CYA at Lowes labeled Stabilizer.

What is your CH in the pool and the fill water? Usually, adding CH is not necessary in Dallas.

Here is a nice chemical summary page.
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Hey pooldv thanks for the tip, I've been away for the past 3 weeks and a friend kindly added bleach for me while I was away, I came back to a clear pool however some results are off, my results are:-

CYA is 0
CH 180
TA 120
PH 7.8 / 8.0

According to pool Cal I need to raise CH to ~260 and obviously my CYA needs to be raised, I added MA to lower my PH today.

Regards
M

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Folks any thoughts on my last post?

Ok so I just tested my pool.

CC = 0
FC = 0
CYA = 0
CH 180
TA 120
PH = 7.5

My fill water
CH = 50
CYA = 0
PH = 8.2

Could the lack of CYA be adding to my CC level being eaten up so quickly?

Should I SLAM or bring my CYA up first?

For calcium chloride all I can find on the ACE website is ACE Ice Melt - but not sure what this has in it (Ace® 40lb Premium Ice Melt - Ice Melt - Ace Hardware) or I found this from amazon (Amazon.com : Pellets of Fire CP20 Snow Garden) any ideas?

Thanks

Yes, cya protects chlorine from the sun. Definitely add cya to your pool and keep your PH below 7.8. I don't mean to be repetitive by I already said this up in post #5 yesterday.

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.

It is even more important to maintain chlorine in your pool at all times. Chlorine level must be maintained at target level for your CYA at all times to keep your pool sanitized and algae free. Chlorine CYA Chart

With FH that low in your tap water you will need to add CH. Any ice melt that is labeled Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94 is fine. More here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Have a look at this article from Pool School, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

So I'm making slow progress - I have managed to get my CH up to 240 and CYA stabilizer is melting away (not testing for another 5 days) however my PH keeps shooting up after I add M-Acid.

Any idea's why this could be?

I have no sign of Algae and keeping up with CC and FC level's from the pool Calculator.

calcium chloride & stabilizer

I decided to SLAM last night to make sure I was not getting affected by hidden Algae, in addition the Muriatic Acid I got from home depot was not the stuff I would normally get so I went out and purchased the correct % MA from Lowes yesterday. I added 1 gallon of MA.

FC 15 - loose 0.5 overnight
CC 0.5
PH 7.2
CH 310
TA 70
CYA 25

The CYA I put in a sock the other day has already melted so I decided to take measure my CYA level - not sure if this is recommended.

Still having PH rising for some reason - however I have read this could be normal until PH settles.

My results from today are below and from the 8/16 is in the above post:

FC 7
CC 0
PH 7.8
CH 330
TA 70
CYA Not Tested

I think I should be adding some M-Acid to bring back the PH - but the rest look ok.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.