Don't quite understand backwashing

Oct 21, 2008
San Jose, Ca
Hi,

I've recently cleaned my filter manually. Now I'm seeing some green come out of the return outlets. I'd like to backwash the filter before taking it out again, but not quite sure how to go about it. I've read my filter's manual, but am having trouble identifying the following.

1. backwash line
2. changing valve positions: I only see one valve, and it looks like it's the on/off for the heater's inlet.
3. where would the backwashed water go?

Thx.
-Rich

After doing a bit more research and seeing some diagrams, here's some more info.

1. Still not sure about backwash line.
2. Regarding the valve, whether I turn it in either position, it doesn't seem to have an effect.
3. The waste line pvc pipe comes out to the open, but nothing is coming out of it.

Andy ideas?

Some filters like yours aren't able to be backwashed. Removing the top of the tank and hosing the grids is the normal method of cleaning. If you don't have a push-pull valve or a multiport valve, that's how you are set up. A picture might help somebody to determine what you have.

You have a push pull main valve. I believe that if you pull it up it will operate normally, and if you push it down it will backwash. Water will come out of the bottom pipe (straight down below the black handle). It is kind of difficult to be sure but from the picture it kind of looks like that pipe simply dumps out on the ground right there after the two 90 degree turns.

You should always turn off the pump before moving the handle on the valve.

I've tried pulling it up and down. It doesn't budge. The only thing it does is turn. It's currently in the "lock" position. If I rotate it clock-wise, it's in the "open" position. However, neither dumps out waste water. If I can't backwash it, I'll just take the filter out to inspect it and see if it's green again. I'm suspecting it is, since the return ports are spewing green.

DC,

If you have green water in your pool or filter, you have algae and backwashing won't do a thing for it......you'll need a lot of chlorine.

You may already be perfectly aware of that but I couldn't be sure from your posts. :-D

Yeah, I ended up taking the filter out and sure enough it was green again, not as bad as last time though. I think the issue was that I didn't re-clean the filter after getting the pool clean. I should have known that all the algae the filter pumped out to get it clean still needed to be removed. Hope the blue lasts longer this time.

dc_dick said:
Yeah, I ended up taking the filter out and sure enough it was green again, not as bad as last time though. I think the issue was that I didn't re-clean the filter after getting the pool clean. I should have known that all the algae the filter pumped out to get it clean still needed to be removed. Hope the blue lasts longer this time.
No, if there is green it means you have not killed the algae and you need more chlorine! You cannot filter out live algae. It will just keep coming back. If you would post a full set of test results we can help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm currently trying to shock the pool. Here are my test results from the last couple of days.

Date FC CC TC pH T/A CH CYA Temp Bromine Comments
20090320 - - 2 >8.2 - - - - 4
20090322 1 0 1 >8.2 110 - 35 55 1
20090324 - - 0 7.5 - - 59 4
20090325 3 0 3 7.8 110 - 40 60 4 Cleaned the filter. Was covered in green again. Not as bad as last time.
20090325 18 - 18 - - - - 60 - Shocking to 15 FC.
20090325 16 - 16 - - - - 55 - Second FC measurement.

You want to hold your FC at shock level until it holds overnight, in otherwords you shock, test your water, go to bed, test again in the morning before the sun is directly over the pool. If the FC is the same in the morning, the algae is likely dead and you can allow the FC to drop to normal levels. IF your test reveals a drop of more than 1, keep shocking. Also your water should be clear and the CC less than .5 Otherwise keep shocking. Run your filter 24/7 during this process, and the shock level will kill algae present in the filter as well.

Your test results are difficult to read, what is your CYA level? Make sure you are shocking according to the CYA level see the chart in my sig.

Good luck! :goodjob:

You are using chloirne, you don't need to list bromine...What test kit are you using?
It would also help if you posted your test results in a clearer fashion. I can make no sense out of them. :(
perhaps like this:

..........Mon......Wed.....Fri (or the date, or the week if weekly tests. You get the idea! :wink: )
FC........xx........xx........xx
CC........xx........xx........xx
(Don't really need TC if you post the FC and CC....we can do the math! :wink: )
pH........xx........xx........xx (unless your FC is above about 10-12 ppm, then this reading will not be accurate!)
TA........xx........xx........xx
CH........xx........xx........xx
CYA......xx........xx........xx
Temp....xx........xx........xx
Salt......xx........xx........xx (if applicable)
Borates..xx........xx........xx (if applicable)

MUCH easier to read, isn't it? :) :)

I guess the formatting didn't come out right. It's clear to me in the excel spreadsheet. Didn't mean to add to the confusion. ;) My data was transposed from the standard format. Anyways, I shocked it yesterday and have been holding FC to the shock level. I'll check it again tonight. It dropped by 1FC overnight.

Date 20090326
FC 15
CC 0.5

And I'm using the TF Test Kit.

What did your comment regarding pH mean? Normally, my FC would be around 4. Did you mean "below" instead of "above"?

dc_dick said:
What did your comment regarding pH mean? Normally, my FC would be around 4. Did you mean "below" instead of "above"?
High FC levels will cause the pH to read high from a chemical interference. So when you are shocking do NOT make pH adjustments if the pH is reading high. It's a false reading.

Sorry didn't see this post till this morning.

Hope you're pump is okay.

You need some sort of circulation to keep the chlorine from puddling in one location. If you have to, walk around the pool pouring slowly and the use your pole-brush combo to stir and create some circulation.... if you have to. Best to figure out the pump problem or it will only get worse without filtration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.