pebbletec"stained"

Sep 18, 2012
Lake Nona, Florida
We've had our pool for a few years now (wow time flies)... and my wife has noticed that the horizontal surfaces are starting to develop darker spots in the pebbletec. She is going to call the guy who did the install but I'm curious of other ideas. To me it looks like the light colored plaster that binds up the stones is wearing away ever so slightly and more dark stone is showing now. It is also possible that the light colored part is staining somehow. I thought that the fact that this is more noticeable on the horizontal surfaces could mean something is settling out and staining.

I think our chemistry has been OK. We have had several bouts with heavy rain, pumping and needing to work to get the pool to hold chlorine levels again, but it's never turned green and we have always gotten it to balance out again in a few days. I'm not sure what else to check. Hope the installer has ideas. It is not bad now but I'd like to stop whatever is happening from getting worse.

Oh bummer, davelinde :( I remember following your pool build like it was yesterday.

Just a thought- got a robot or pool cleaner that gets "stuck" in one or so darker areas of the pool and scrubs away too long maybe on those areas?? I don't even know if that's possible but I'm trying to play detective here..... ?

I had to see my own sig to realize this is actually a stonescapes not pebbletec btw.

To clarify I don't actually find the darkening objectionable but the wife is worried so I am too. My first feeling IS that we are just seeing a little more stone now, but if it is a chemistry issue causing it to darken we could do something I guess.

And btw - I ALSO feel like we built this just the other day. Time flies...

You could try to test the areas with vitamin C and trichlor tablets to see if the "stain" lightens at all. If neither test is positive then it could be calcium scaling (calcium scale sometimes can be dark colored if it incorporates "dirt" in it or if there is significant magnesium levels) or the cement has eroded in that area (either physical or chemical) and the aggregate is more exposed.

Do you pour any chemicals in near that area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.