New Pool install, Chemical testing Question

Jul 29, 2015
Elkhart, IN
Hello all!,

So we just yesterday had our USED (newto us) ABG Pool that we got for free installed :) . The water finished filling today, and the installer is out hooking up the pump and filter now. I have been trying to soak in as much information as possible, and have read the ABC's of pool chemistry, and plan on going that route versus the Pool store. I will admit that in my haste to make sure I had everything, I bought the K-2005 kit from our local pool store not realizing it didn't have the FAS-DPD test! I know, I should have ordered the recommended kit earlier.. So in spite of my ignorance, is this the solution I need to add to my kit in order to test FC levels above 10? Amazon.com : Taylor FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (Chlorine) 2 oz R-0871-C : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

Also, I bought the Muriatic Acid from the store as well, but forgot to purchase Pool conditioner AKA CYA, so I will get that hopefully from Walmart.. So far, while the pool was filling, I added 16 oz of Chlorine when it got to about 1/4 full last night, then added in 26 oz more this morning where it was about 80% full. I had to manuully stir it in since the pump wasn't hooked up. Luckily, its been overcast today, so no direct sunlight. I hope to have the conditioner added in by tonight, then in 6-7 days I will test the CYA levels to determine the FC level I need. I do have one more question. I noticed in the calculator that CYA will lower our PH. We recently got a statement from Our city water utility that our PH is 8.1, so it looks like the CYA may actually lower our PH enough without me having to add in any Muriatic acid later, is that correct? At any rate, so glad I found this forum on accident, and look forward to a sparkling clean pool!

Thank you,

Jonathan

Attachments

• 20150809_132247.jpg
    20150809_132247.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 39
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 38
Jonathan, welcome to TFP! Piolin is correct as well. You will need BOTH the R-0870 (powder) and R-0871 (drops). Those are used together to test your chlorine. You can also order them from TFTestkits.net. :) As for your PH question, hard to tell what your new/initial PH reading will be after fill. Best to have a little muriatic acid on-hand and ready though. As for CYA, you're familiar with the granular/sock method near a return right? If not, let us know.

Aside from that, you appear to have a very nice set-up. Congrats on the new pool, and enjoy. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Piolin/Texas Splash,

Thank you for the responses! I will order them from Tftestkits, Amazon get's enough money. :) In regards to the CYA Sock, I did read up on that briefly, Do I just use a regular white Tube sock with the CYA solid inside of it near a return where the water is being sucked into the filter, or do I put it at the jet where the water will be shooting out?

The jet from the return hose is about 3 feet from the skimmer. I went and bought some lady panty hose, had to ask where those were located at Walgreens! LOL and added in the granules that the calculator recommended to get to 40 ppm. I errored on the side of caution however, and put less in, in case my estimated gallons of water isn't accurate. I just tied off the panty hose to the out side of the pool and they are right out in front of the jet. Hopefully this was the best course of action. The directions recommended pre stirring it in water and dumping it right into the skimmer with the basket removed. But I took advise from those on here...

Thanks for the help so far. So I did my 1st real tests today using the kit. I ordered the Full FAS/DPD Kit from TFTtestkits.com today we well. Here are my results..

FC: 5-6 (The scale only goes up to 5, it looked a bit more red, so I'm guessing here..
CC:0
PH:7.4-7.5
TA: 230 (Concerned so high)
CH:360 (Also slightly concerned, its a Vinyl Pool, guess we have hard water!)
CYA: I added in about 3lbs today Via a Sock, waiting for it to fully disolve.

So with regards to Alkalinity, I see my only options are to lower my PH using muriatic acid Correct? My question is how much? Calculator doesn't tell me how much acid. Once its lowered, it says to Aerate to re riase your PH, what does that mean and how do I?

Thanks for your help so far! Water is staying nice and clear. My son commented that he wants to jump in so badly because its so clear, he said all his friends pools are bluish in color.. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Ignore the question about lowering PH, duh.. I just have to put my current PH and then the goal PH.. LOL. Question about aerating still stands though.. :)

Ch is fine for a vinyl pool. TA is high which means each time you lower PH to 7.2 it will rise more rapidly to 7.8. But just lower it again. Over the course of a few weeks this will naturally bring down TA. If you want to speed the process up you can point your return (what you called a jet) upwards where it breaks the water...that bit of aeration will drive up pH faster to which you add MA to lower again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you both for the quick replies, very informative! So after I add the required MA to get levels between 7.0-7.2, I then test after 30 min for TA Levels correct? If still high, I aerate to get PH back up to normal levels or 7.8, then add More MA, rinse and repeat until TA is between 90-100.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.