Draining Pool?

Aug 10, 2015
Vancouver, BC
I didn't know exactly what category to put this question in.... How do I handle draining the pool when it comes time to replace the liner? It is an old pool with no bottom drain. I am on a septic system, even though I am in an urban setting. My drain for waste goes under my front side lawn, but, there is no place to evacuate 27,000 gallons without disrupting something...

Does anyone have experience with a pumping service that can pump it into a truck? Also, can I refill the pool with a truck, or is the flow rate of the water disruptive to the settling of the liner?

Thank you :)

My city requires drained pool water to go thru the septic system. I bought a submersible sump pump from Lowes and a 100' heavy duty hose and drained mine right into the clean out in the front yard. Took about a day, but I only have 5000gal.

Thank you for the reply. We too have laws against draining treated water into stormwater drains. When I drain my hot tub, I just route the hose to my back garden but I am afraid 27,000 gal of saltwater would inundate both my waste drain and my septic field - not to mention kill some vegetation at the very least...

If you want to replace the liner, you could empty the pool in increments couldnt you? Well, at least if you owned the submersible pump I would think so. If you aren't in a hurry. 4 or 5 thousand gallons into the septic every so often until its empty?

Are you on a well too ?? I'd ask whoever you are planning to use for an installer their thoughts on how best to drain and fill it in your area with your laws/restirctions. I would think something coming out of a big hose from a truck might not be the best way to go for filling with a liner. Just MHO.

Yes, Frog, my thoughts exactly - that the pressure from the truck fill may not be the best for the liner. Dave, that is a good suggestion about increments...never thought about that.
It is really not so much about "what is allowed" and more that a huge amount of chlorinated water can't be good for anything in the environment....I have never really thought about this, as I never had to deal with it, but there needs to be a company that rents you a tank to sit in your driveway and "hold" your treated water until you are ready to dump it back into the pool again...

Thank you for the reply. We too have laws against draining treated water into stormwater drains. When I drain my hot tub, I just route the hose to my back garden but I am afraid 27,000 gal of saltwater would inundate both my waste drain and my septic field - not to mention kill some vegetation at the very least...

Sorry, I actually meant to say thru the sewer system, not septic. And I see in your signature now, that you are on a septic system. Yeah, 27K gal would be a lot and would flood your system for sure. Seems like your only 2 options would be draining in increments or a "holding tank" type system. Please let us know what you decide or do. This info may be helpful to someone else in the future.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.