What is a reasonable price to replace a pool pump (install cost only)

Dec 25, 2014
Houston, Texas
Hi everyone,

Looking for opinions on what a reasonable price would be to replace an existing pool pump with a variable speed (**note installation price only). Basically I'm trying to see if I should just do it myself or leave this one to the pros. I've had one quote that was just north of $200 but have nothing to compare that against.

As for the DIY option, I've never replaced a pump, but it looks straight-forward in terms of hooking into the existing plumbing and there shouldn't be any major electrical work outside of just transferring the current wiring to the new pump.

My primary hesitation in trying this myself is that I get started, cut the old pump out, get halfway through the install and then encounter an unexpected issue that i can't resolve. I'll then end up having to pay someone anyway -- plus if my pump is offline for a day in this heat (Houston) it will be green in no time.

Thanks for the help...

As long as you've done your homework in ensuring you can connect the new pump into the existing plumbing, it is a pretty straight-forward swap.

Just grab a stool and sit in front of your motor and stare at it until you feel like you understand how it all goes together and how it'll come apart.

Post a picture if you like and we can help you.

I've never paid for a motor install so I can't help you there but $200 sounds a tad high to me but it might vary a fair amount.

As far as cost, I had to have a 'authorized' installer do my new pump install to qualify for a $450 rebate from my power company, they charged me $225 with all parts etc including unions. I wired the power cord . Also Hayward said that they give a extra year warranty if a 'authorized' installer does the install

I had my new Pentair VS "professionally installed", only because with a DIY install Pentair will only give a 90 day warranty. Otherwise it's a pretty easy swap. You may have to do a little re wiring if you are currently using a timer and want to switch to using the VS pump's onboard controls.

As long as you've done your homework in ensuring you can connect the new pump into the existing plumbing, it is a pretty straight-forward swap.

Just grab a stool and sit in front of your motor and stare at it until you feel like you understand how it all goes together and how it'll come apart.

Post a picture if you like and we can help you.

I've never paid for a motor install so I can't help you there but $200 sounds a tad high to me but it might vary a fair amount.

Thanks @Agent 99 - I'll see if I can get some pictures to post the setup....but it is what I would consider pretty straight-forward in terms of plumbing

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.