How does this setup look?

Lazyman

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
NJ
Hello, first post, great site. Glad to contribute, as it is deserved. I can't read all the info fast enough. I'm going to make a purchasing decision soon.

I'm thinking of installing an 18' AG round pool in NJ. I have a LOT of trees overhead that drop this green stuff down from them during the season. Maybe that's important to know.

One other important fact is that I'm pretty lazy. (sort of)

I'm looking at a medium quality 18' round 52 or 54" high. My 2 kids 3 and 7 will be mostly swimming in it. Then my wife/family as well at times.

I understand to "oversize the filter and not the pump". I have found a reasonably priced filter system with 1.5 hp 2-speed, and 200sf cartridge. I figured I could use it on low most of the time, with the ability, if needed, to use it on full power. I'm pretty much going with the cartridge, although it may be "easier" with the sand filter. I don't want to deal with the mess of sand. I don't mind cleaning the cartridge and buying new ones when needed.

This is the filter system I'm looking at... 200 sq.ft. w/ 1.5 h.p. 2 speed pump Waterways Clearwater II cartridge filter system.

The cost of the system seems low to me, compared to others I've seen. Is the quality any good with these systems? I would like to get a bigger filter size, but this is the highest. Also the 2-speed and 1.5 hp is the lowest I can get.

I would also like to instal an SWG. Price being somewhat of an issue, I am leaning towards the AQUATROL SALT CHLORINE GENERATOR FOR ABOVEGROUND POOLS. Laziness and cost are sort of intertwined. I will pay more to be more lazy. ha!

These were my two main questions. Anything else I should look for? I can always add the cleaning robotic vacuums etc.. later on. Right now the basic setup is my goal. thank you!

Welcome to the forum! :lol:

I have a LOT of trees overhead that drop this green stuff down from them during the season. Maybe that's important to know.
It's pretty important to consider when you are thinking overall maintenance. Trees are easily my biggest source of work for my pool. They drop something into the pool pretty much year round.

It's certainly would not be a deal breaker but just be aware that they will hassle you one way or another most of the time.

Others will chime in soon to comment on your filter and pump selections.

Yep, I figured it would be a pain. I'll have to live with it. I wonder if any thing has to be done differently. The swim season wouldn't be too long, here, in NJ. Dang kids and their swimming! lol jk I don't think the leaves themselves fall during the swim season. Never really paid attention.

I see some people here using Intex salt generator. How would that compare to the Aqatrol I mentioned above? I'm going to assume there is a difference in quality, but the price is very reasonable. I do also understand you get what you pay for.

Forgot to mention, more than just 2 children may be using the pool. How could I forget my kids' friends coming over to share the fun. lol

Still searching for the perfect setup. Sure, it's only as good as the upkeep, but I want to have a good head start. The less "work" I have to do, the better. If there is an automatic"something", I probably want it. All within a budget of course.

No, I don't want a poolman....

yet.

My wife keeps asking for one. Not sure why. haha

Welcome! I have that pump filter combo by Clearwater, but my filter is 150 sq feet. Some might say my pump is oversized... :oops: I run mine on low 24/7, only on high when I have to vacume which is rare because I have a bottom drain. My season is May-Sep and I clean the filter once, maybe twice in the season, usually when the heater stops working (the heater won't work if the filter is really dirty). We're on our 8th season, and have been very happy with it. Personally it seems like cartridges are less work than sand, but I've never used a sand filter so can't really compare. But all this backwashing business people talk about on here.... :rant:

P.S. I'm as lazy as they come, hate to vacume. You get yourself a robot and you'll be good to go!

frustratedpoolmom said:
Welcome! I have that pump filter combo by Clearwater, but my filter is 150 sq feet. Some might say my pump is oversized...

So, for my 18' round would probably be oversized? I would probably have to run it in low all the time. I don't mind. I guess I would need the 1.5/high like you said with the vacuum. That's a whole other issue.

Is the intelliflo motor for inground pools only? That looks like a very good procduct, even for the money. Energy efficiency would be great, and I'm all for saving my monthly bills. Would that be overkill for an 18' round? All I will have is the pool and a vacuum, I guess. no other hot tubs etc.. Oh, yeah, the salt chlorinater unit. If the pump is running on lower speeds like the intelliflo can do, then I would assume the salt system would work bwetter, right?

Any input on that?

OK... I've narrowed it down and pretty happy with my choices. Here it goes, unless someone has other ideas which I will gladly consider....

18' round AG pool 52 or 54" deep (8000 gallons?)
Waterways Clearwater cartridge filter 200sf and 1.5hp 2-speed pump
Aquatrol swg
auto pool cleaner of some kind which I haven't researched yet because my brain is fried from all this other stuff!

So, how's that set up now? I don't know which Aquatrol to use. There are two choices and customer service could not give me an answer. They said talk to whoever sells you the product. I will probably buy it online.

I've recently seen the RPMINI and wondered how that faired against the Aquatrol? Should I consider that instead?

So, NOW, how does that look? ha.

I've seen that run times are important in terms of cleaning and salt water generators. Is it possible my 1.5hp 2-speed is STILL oversized for that pool? I do have the 200sf filter which would do a quick job if needed on high speed.

I'll take any advise, as I'm ready to pull the trigger within 2-9 days. thanks again for the site!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.