Hayward Northstar - going variable speed?

Aug 10, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
New to the forum, first post, had my pool for 13 years, sad it took so long to find this place :confused:.

Bottom line - motor is failing on my Hayward Northstar, pretty loud, sounds like bearing - have not ripped it open yet. Replaced motor twice now in 13 years without issue. Thinking about going variable, looking at the EcoTech EZ, but cannot verify if compatible with the Northstar pump. I looked around here and found only one post that ended with the OP who bought the ecotech going to new Hayward VS instead. There could be others I missed?

Can anyone weigh in with thoughts on this motor / pump combo? I'm open to a whole new package due to age, but the Northstar would still be solid with new seals and impeller rebuild I would imagine? Are there other factors I need to consider?

Thanks in advance.

-Joe

If the wet end is in good condition, I would just go with a two speed motor. A VS will likely cost more over the life of the pump than a two speed motor unless your power company give rebates.

But if you really want a VS, I would NOT go with an EcoTech. They don't seem to have very good reliability. Most other VS pumps are fairly good but I would definitely invest in a power surge unit for the VS or you run the risk of damaging the drive with power line surges.

I have the Pentair Intellifo (see sig) and while it has only been running a month, the VS aspect of it blows me away every time I mess with it. I had a single-speed running the pool for as long as I've lived in the house (3rd owner in 1998).

I talked to a nice Pentair rep and he recommended that I run the pump at a speed that shows 15 psi on my filter (with solar engaged) and that came out to 2400 rpm. It runs nice and quiet and saves some electrons. In the winter with the pool closed, solar off, he said to run it at 5 psi. I'm not even sure if that will break 1000 rpm on the motor.

Being able to adjust the rpm of the motor is the cat's meow and I highly recommend such a motor if you can swing the dollars as I'm sure it'll pay itself back over a few years. The motor will run cooler and quieter and that should pay back in money saved on electricity and perhaps motor longevity and perhaps in less noise from that area of the yard. :)

The power surge is an excellent idea. Google up 'whole house surge protector' and you'll see a ton of stuff. There are several layers of protection you can buy and install. Square D is an excellent brand. Their HEPD looks perfect...think I'll order one up for the main panel in my home. You could also put it at the pool panel if you have a dedicated one.

If the wet end is in good condition, I would just go with a two speed motor. A VS will likely cost more over the life of the pump than a two speed motor unless your power company give rebates.

But if you really want a VS, I would NOT go with an EcoTech. They don't seem to have very good reliability. Most other VS pumps are fairly good but I would definitely invest in a power surge unit for the VS or you run the risk of damaging the drive with power line surges.

Thanks - After a little more research, thumbs down on EcoTech. Calling them sealed it, painful to work with.

Not to derail the OP, but do you have a recommendation for a power surge protection device?

No worries, that was my next question. I used to run several around my flat screens when they were new and expensive. Rarely have any surges, and they are small - so I quit with them. For this, I see the benefit. Looking at the Intermatic PS3000.

I have the Pentair Intellifo (see sig) and while it has only been running a month, the VS aspect of it blows me away every time I mess with it. I had a single-speed running the pool for as long as I've lived in the house (3rd owner in 1998).

I talked to a nice Pentair rep and he recommended that I run the pump at a speed that shows 15 psi on my filter (with solar engaged) and that came out to 2400 rpm. It runs nice and quiet and saves some electrons. In the winter with the pool closed, solar off, he said to run it at 5 psi. I'm not even sure if that will break 1000 rpm on the motor.

Being able to adjust the rpm of the motor is the cat's meow and I highly recommend such a motor if you can swing the dollars as I'm sure it'll pay itself back over a few years. The motor will run cooler and quieter and that should pay back in money saved on electricity and perhaps motor longevity and perhaps in less noise from that area of the yard. :)

The power surge is an excellent idea. Google up 'whole house surge protector' and you'll see a ton of stuff. There are several layers of protection you can buy and install. Square D is an excellent brand.

Will do on the surge suppression. Probably picking up a Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo tonight on amazon for $645 shipped, done. Not worth the messing around for $200 in saving, and no re-build needed - it will be plug and play. I think my old one deserves an honorable burial. Found a great post here on programming strategy, need to work through that. No winter flow for me in the great white north, pool closes and gets winterized in October.

MAS - did not mean to disregard your 2-speed advice, and thanks for responding - I've read several of your posts with interest. My take on 2-speed or VS, when I looked up the Intermatic timer I would need (P153 DPDT I think?), was back to pretty close to within $100 the cost of a new VS, and more work with wiring? I have not researched Pentair vs. Hayward, but will get on that. Stuck with Hayward thus far due to perceived ease of plumbing connection. Programming limitations could sway me I guess, have not got there yet.

Just make sure you include the surge protection in the cost comparison. For decent surge protection, it can run quite a bit. The cheaper ones are better than nothing but do have limits on protection.

For the timer, I use the Intermatic EH40, so-called water heater timer so it handles the 240 V your pump does and up to 30A. Should be plenty. The Pentair IntelliFlo, however, has its own timer, so nothing external is needed. I use the timer for the booster pump.

The Square D HEPD is a good surge protector and pretty easy to install. Start there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.