1st Time Trouble Free User

Aug 10, 2015
Ocean View
I have done my pool school and think i'm moving in the right direction. I am still however showing some algae growth each morning which i have been scrubbing. Should I continue to keep scrubbing and hoping the algae growth will stop. I don't have my own test kit but I went to the pool store to get my readings.

I did SLAM the pool last week. I'm worried I didn't slam it long enough and may need to start over.

Note* This is for a 28,000gal SWG Vinyl Pool
FC 8.0ppm
TC 8.0ppm
PH 8
Hardness 88
TA 88PPM
CYA 81PPM

I did just add some acid to drop the PH

I also added some water to hopefully lower my CYA a bit

Thanks for all your help this is a great site!

Also, we put no faith in pool $tore testing. Too many times they are just plain wrong. And CYA is usually one of the worst.

You really need to get one of the recommended kits. In your situation I would suggest the TF-100 with XL option or the K-2006C the C is very important but probably still not enough of the important reagents for a proper SLAM.

I have done my pool school and think i'm moving in the right direction. I am still however showing some algae growth each morning which i have been scrubbing. Should I continue to keep scrubbing and hoping the algae growth will stop. I don't have my own test kit but I went to the pool store to get my readings.

I did SLAM the pool last week. I'm worried I didn't slam it long enough and may need to start over.

Note* This is for a 28,000gal SWG Vinyl Pool
FC 8.0ppm
TC 8.0ppm
PH 8
Hardness 88
TA 88PPM
CYA 81PPM

I did just add some acid to drop the PH

I also added some water to hopefully lower my CYA a bit

Thanks for all your help this is a great site!
Welcome to the forum.

It is impossible to properly SLAM without a test kit. What you did last week was dump in some chemicals and hoped for the best.

With out the proper FAS-DPD test kit you will never get ahead of this. How did you do an OCLT?

What is your current primary source of chlorine?

I think you may need to review a few sections of Pool School.

Dom

A SLAM procedure is a multi-dosing process which is intended to maintain the killing of algae at a higher rate than the algae itself can reproduce. It takes more than one dose or one day usually. You aren't completely finished until: Water is clear; Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is 1 or less and your CCs are less than 0.5

Then it is helpful to address why you had/got algae in the first place? Is your CYA too high for the amount of chlorine you have? Is there a spot or niche in the pool still lurking full of algae?? Light fixtures, ladders, etc can all harbor hidden algae and need to be spied out.

Do you think this may account for the resurgence of your algae?

A lot of "8s" in your testing....are you sure of these numbers? How did you get them?

A SLAM procedure is a multi-dosing process which is intended to maintain the killing of algae at a higher rate than the algae itself can reproduce. It takes more than one dose or one day usually. You aren't completely finished until: Water is clear; Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is 1 or less and your CCs are less than 0.5

Then it is helpful to address why you had/got algae in the first place? Is your CYA too high for the amount of chlorine you have? Is there a spot or niche in the pool still lurking full of algae?? Light fixtures, ladders, etc can all harbor hidden algae and need to be spied out.

Do you think this may account for the resurgence of your algae?

A lot of "8s" in your testing....are you sure of these numbers? How did you get them?
OP is relying on Pool Store testing. I'm sure that the algae was never completely cleared as the OP has no way to frequently test & maintain FC, accurately measure CC, or verify an OCLT.

........I don't have my own test kit but I went to the pool store to get my readings.........

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.