Pool LIght Burst - while pool was full of water

Dec 31, 2013
Burleson, TX
We just got a new inground gunite pool. (Yeah!) It's been a stressful process, mostly because of the rain this spring in Texas. (long, painful story) We finally got to swim a week or so ago, and then went out of town this weekend. When we got back, there was glass in our pump basket and glass on the bottom of the pool. I thought that was weird. We had to leave the gate unlocked so our pool company could bring us our pool cleaner (they had "forgotten" to do so earlier.). So I thought maybe a neighborhood kid or adult had decided to use our pool while we were gone and broken a glass or something. I couldn't figure anything else out, but I know that sounds weird. Well I got to thinking, maybe it was the lights. So I went outside and turned on the lights, and yhey didn't come on. So I'm pretty convinced it is a broken light. I don't want to get into the pool to verify or clean up the glass.

So, what would cause a pool light to break. The water levels were much higher than the light, so that wasn't an issue. Has anyone ever run across this? And how should I ensure that it's fixed correctly by our pool company? I'm trying not to let it stress me out. :)

Thanks in advance for you help.

DeeAnn

Are your lights LED or incandescent? Even if incandescent bulbs, I wouldn't expect a bulb bursting to be able to break the light housing causing glass to go in your pool. LED... no chance. If the lights were installed properly, they are on a GFCI circuit so even a blown light bulb or broken housing would not present a shock hazard. The glass you'll want to make sure is vacuumed up completely and run the cleaner a few times to make sure it's all picked up.

When they come to repair it, I would be there to see what happened to cause the problem and how they intend on fixing it.

Incandescent. I'm wondering if the plumbing got mixed up and when we turned on the cleaner, it blew out the light. We had all sorts of problems building the pool.(They poured 3/4 of the gunite and then left it for 2 days, during which time we had a major storm, which wreaked havoc on the pool and all the plumbing and rebar in the areas where they hadn't finished the gunite had to be redone. It took 3 weeks to get them back out there to clean up all the mud and water in the pool.) It wouldn't surprise me. Honestly, I think the pool company is good, they just had to deal with a lot of things that were small mis-managements that got blown up because of the bad weather.

You would hope it did it when the light blew but............

Kim

I don't see where the OP actually went and looked, he just saw the light was out, but also said he thought the breaker was already flipped. should be easy to see if the actual glass enclosure was shattered, I would just check before you call the PB.

if not, then I think his neighbors had a good party while he was gone :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.