Converting from fresh to saltwater

JNB64

Aug 9, 2015
Troy, AL
First post under this user id, heck, maybe first post ever. Been reading the site for a couple of years now and using the BBB practice that same time. I've had generally good results, especially if I have the time to monitor things daily and make the appropriate adjustments. But that's the problem right there... time. I don't have much of it this summer with my son's heavy sports involvement. I barely have enough time to even maintain the yard. So all that to say it's gotten me considering making a switch to a saltwater pool. A couple of friends (also sports dads) have salt and speak highly of them in that it frees up their time considerably.

I've searched around, maybe it's in archives somewhere and I haven't seen it. Help me decide whether or not to pull the trigger. How would I go about making this switch? Is there a good reference link you can provide which gives the basics of what I'd need to do? Do I need to replace all of my hardware and infrastructure?

Thoughts and comments please.

In ground
Vinyl
Hayward
SE Alabama

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

All you need to do to switch is add salt, install the system (plumb in the cell and flow sensor, hook up some power), and dial in the output. Likely need to bump up the CYA level a bit too.

Remember a SWG does not make the pool maintenance free. You still need to be testing and adjusting at least a few times a week. And the SWG will often require you to add acid to lower the pH more often.

One issue is the size of your pool. We recommend sizing the SWG for 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. Hayward residential caps at 40k. Pentair caps at 60k (I think) ... which is still a bit small. You may have to shop around for larger units or go with 2 of the smaller SWGs.

How are you maintaining the pool now?

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Water Balance for SWGs

The important thing to remember is that a salt water pool is still a chlorine pool, you just generate the chlorine on site with a SWCG (Salt water chlorine generator) which passes an electrical current through the salt water cell to split the Sodium from the Chlorine in common salt (Sodium Chloride).

I am very happy with our saltwater pool. This is our second one and if I ever build another one it will saltwater also. SWG will save you time buying, hauling and adding bleach. Testing and tweaking the SWG output is still required. Pentair makes the Intellichlor 60, which is rated for 60k gallons. We recommend buying an SWG that is 1-1/2 to 3 times larger than your pool volume so it can keep up in peak demand. Being in the hot and sunny south makes the IC60 or 60k rated SWG the smallest you should consider. You can also get two 40k rated units.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.