Signing tomorrow morning. Quick question

Jul 12, 2015
Ooltewah, TN
All, thanks again.

Is a 2-speed Hayward Tri-Star pump worth the $500-$600 up charge over a Hayward Tri-Star 1.85 pump?

Sure I have seen what the paperwork says...but really? What's the difference in electric?

This is for a 20x35 grecian. 4-5-4.

That is kind of expensive for a upgrade from a single to 2-speed. The pumps are only around $200 difference in price. Install is the same, although a little more electrical to add a switch (unless you have automation too).

Pretty easy to save over 50% of the electrical cost to run the pump.

I would argue that the pump price difference is only ~$200 and suggest they upgrade you for $300-400.

On low speed, they move about 1/2 the water as on high speed (which is the same as a single speed), but on low only use 1/4 the electricity.

If they are adding a timer to control the speeds, that could be part of the cost. Although pretty easy to switch it manually only when needed and leave it on low most of the time.

Two thoughts from my POV:
it costs $80/m to run our single speed pump 24/7. Especially during the winter, 24/7 isn't necessary (we keep it uncovered and kept up year around purely for esthetics).
I heard a lot of negatives about pool timers and how often they break, so I never put one in. But what I wish I had was a switch inside the house so I could turn the pump on and off without have to freeze and crawl into the pump house in the winter.
I can't imagine that adding a switch and a line in a shallow ditch from the pump to inside the house would be expensive ($200 maybe?) but I can guarantee that I'd have saved that much money on the electric in just a few months if I'd had the switch inside!

An Intermatic pool time clock is very reliable and will last a long time.

EDIT: the last time I considered one was over 5 years ago. I should have prefaced my thoughts with that. But my point remains the same - have a convenient means to turn the pump on and off. It'll save a fair amount of cash.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you get a 2 speed pump or the VS pump? That's a good deal either way.

Hayward Tri-Star VS pump. 3200.

- - - Updated - - -

So when is the ground breaking ceremony?!

Was going to post when they broke ground, likely next Wednesday. But they were out drawing it up yesterday.
20x35 Grecian
990 sq foot of sandstone color stamped concrete
with pump/etc in back left corner.
Just hope I don't regret those trees! Pool is about 20-25' from the privacy fence and trees. Once they "fill" in, I will trim the parts hanging over the fence back. (I took out 3 large pine trees in May, which stunted the growth of the other trees).
I may be forced to moved the natchez crepe myrtles, and loose the shade and beauty they create. The pool water is only 15-17 feet from the trunks.
image1(1).jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.