fac 0
tac0
ch300
cya105
ta100
ph7.6
tds750
phos200
Shocked with 3 lbs.dichlor wed night today nothing....just refilled the pool in oct 2014..hate to have to pump it out again...too hot now to do it anyway......HELP!!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. We do not trust pool store testing. So your first step must be to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits.

2. If you trust some of those results, your CYA is far too high and the dichlor just raised it more. So you need to replace at least half the water to get the CYA back under control and then stick to bleach. BUT, confirm the results with your own test kit.

3. You likely need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process (which again requires the FAS-DPD chlorine test in the recommended test kits) since your FC has been far too low and will not hold.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these to get us speaking the same language:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welcome.

You should spend some time reading the pool school links and chemistry 101. Because you've been using tabs and shock your CYA is high and becoming unmanageable because at 105 you'll need to maintain chlorine in the FC range of 12. That'll be alot of bleach. Your best bet will be to do a 50% water change to bring your Cya down to 50 which is more manageable.

Second you need to stay away from the pool store and get your own quality testing kit. Either the tf-100 or the taylor 2006. The pool stores are notorious for bad testing procedures and we usually are reluctant to dispense advice based on erroneous numbers from the pool store.

Welcome to TFP!

Well, assuming your CYA level is correct and then you added another 3 lbs of dichlor then you are now looking at 120 CYA, which is past the point of reasonable usability and with continued tablet use it is only continuing to rise...

I've been looking at this site on and off b4 joining..Yes i need to purchase a good test kit....and will check out shock level and maintain...Thx for the quick response Jason....Btw this kid at the pool store tryed to sell me this stuff called bioactive cya reducer 8oz powder you pour in the skimmer....reduces cya by half>>>ever heard of this stuff???..thx again

Search the forum for BioActive ... I am not sure we saw 1 reliable post about it working and many posts where after multiple applications there was no reduction. Seems like snake oil at this point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can use PoolMath to calculate dosages, but for a minimum 7.5% FC for your 105 ppm CYA level (if that is to be believed -- you really should get your own proper test kit -- see Test Kits Compared and it's a FAS-DPD chlorine kit you want, NOT DPD) then that is 8 ppm FC minimum which for your 11,400 gallon pool would be roughly one gallon of 8.25% bleach (that should get you to 7.6 ppm FC) or 11 cups of 12.5% chlorinating liquid, BUT it should not require that every day. You should only be losing 2-3 ppm FC per day unless you've got algae growth so just add whatever is needed to maintain at least 8 ppm FC minimum (i.e. at the low point of the day just before you add more chlorine). If you are unable to hold chlorine well, then you'll need to SLAM your pool but that takes a LOT of chlorine at your high CYA level so you'd be better off with partial drain/refill to lower the CYA level.

By the way, adding Dichlor was the worst possible type of chlorine you could have added to your pool since for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Dichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 9 ppm.

Correction: you need the FAS-DPD chlorine test. NOT the DPD chlorine test.

Assuming the CYA level is correct (which is a horrendous assumption), you need to maintain the FC above 8ppm ... so around 10ppm.
Using PoolMath, it would take 169oz of 8.25% bleach to add 10ppm.

One bottle would add 7ppm. I think I would add 2 bottles tonight and then 1/2 bottle daily until your test kit arrives.

Re: Won"t hold chlorine?????

ThxChem..but like i said its too hot in AZ to drain right now....and i read the slam part but im a little unclear on it....I'lladd the amounts you suggest and play it by ear i guess..thx again

- - - Updated - - -

I'll do that thank you

There are methods where you can drain and fill at the same time to avoid exposing the plaster to the heat/sun. Just uses more water.

Since the supply water is likely cooler (down right frigid tap water we have :roll: ) than the pool water, you can fill at the deepest point and drain at the upper water levels on the opposite end of the pool. You would probably want to use a cheap submersible pump from Harbor Freight that will not have high flow rates so your fill hose can keep up.

Leave the pool pump off for as long as you exchange water (might need almost 24 hours assuming about 5 gallons a minute). Then run the pool pump for about an hour and retest the CYA. Repeat as required.

You poor thing! You got pool stored!

They just sort of load you up with stabilized chlorine products (pucks and powder shock) then when the pool is completely overstabilized you're stuck draining to lower your levels to something more manageable.

You're doing yourself a huge by getting the right test kit and doing it the TFP way!

Once you get straightened back out there won't be any more roller coaster pool care. :)

Everyone's got you covered for advice so I just wanted to welcome you to the forum! Glad you found us before another ride on the pool store roller coaster! :)

You poor thing! You got pool stored!

They just sort of load you up with stabilized chlorine products (pucks and powder shock) then when the pool is completely overstabilized you're stuck draining to lower your levels to something more manageable.

You're doing yourself a huge by getting the right test kit and doing it the TFP way!

Once you get straightened back out there won't be any more roller coaster pool care. :)

Everyone's got you covered for advice so I just wanted to welcome you to the forum! Glad you found us before another ride on the pool store roller coaster! :)
Thx Beens...but this SLAM thing has me a bit confused???

Care to elaborate on what is confusing to you?
First off i cant afford pumping out water as i put fresh water in....Ive had this pool 22 yrs and never had this prob b4.....The cya /chlor chart says i cant do the slam because my cya is 100+....so i assume i cant wait till its winter to refill it....And what pees me off the most is i just refilled it in Oct.of 2014...I'm just really confused as to what to do??

There really is no option. You need to SLAM the pool to eradicate whatever is in the water. And to realistically do that, you need to lower the CYA. And to do that, you need to replace water. Sorry. The only other option, assuming the water is clear, is to hire a company to perform a Reverse Osmosis treatment. Although after calling for a quote, I guarantee you will not think replacing water is too expensive. ;)

Now you are learning what all the pucks and chlorine powders have done to your pool that I assume you have been using.

There really is no option. You need to SLAM the pool to eradicate whatever is in the water. And to realistically do that, you need to lower the CYA. And to do that, you need to replace water. Sorry. The only other option, assuming the water is clear, is to hire a company to perform a Reverse Osmosis treatment. Although after calling for a quote, I guarantee you will not think replacing water is too expensive. ;)

Now you are learning what all the pucks and chlorine powders have done to your pool that I assume you have been using.
No i appreciate the input really...but how low do i have to get it to perform the slam?? What i'm saying is i live on a fixed income and have back problems so i really devote myself to doing this now is there anything i can do to keep the pool going till it cools off in sept or oct??? When i can have it drained?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.