New Pool and high Ph concerns

I have a new pool, 12,500 gal. gunite pool with a 40 yard sandstone stream that drops 17 feet over 7 landings into the pool. Pool has been filled for about 1 month and the water is looking perfect however I have to add 1/2 gallon of Muriatic 5 times per week to keep the ph at 8 or slightly lower. Chlorine varies from 1-3. I have recently, yesterday, gotten the total alkalinity to 100 and am trying to keep it that way.
I was hoping that there is some explanation from some of you seasoned pros that might help me understand this issue and/or do I have a problem. Thanks for any advice.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Aeration causes the pH to rise. You have a LOT!!! of aeration along a 40 yard stream and 7 waterfalls. Thus, your pH is always going to be rising. Ideally you should keep the pH below 8 at all times to avoid scaling issues.

You might be able to slow the rise down some if you get teh TA closer to 60-70ppm and then add borates.

What are the rest of your test results?
Specifically, what is your CYA? That is what determines the required FC level to keep your pool algae free according to the FC/CYA Chart.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Along with the aeration causing a rise in the pH, your new pool itself is still curing. It can take months to settle down so in that time your MA requirements will probably be higher than normal.

I too would love to see a pic~ :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jason,
I been studying the FC/CYA chart you sent me a reference to. It shows CYA at a minimum for my SWG pool to be 70, is that correct? Also at 70 it shows ch. needs to be 3? Does this mean I need to raise the CyA chemically and turn up the % on the chlorinator till I acheive the TC of 4?
BTW salt is 3200.
Pat

I missed the SWG part. :oops:

Yes, you should raise the CYA and also increase the run time on the SWG so that you never dip below the minimum FC listed on the FC/CYA chart. That part is mostly trial-and-error.

Richard,
My SWG is controlled by the Omnilogic not a timer. I had it set to 15% because my pool builder suggested that. I will boost it up 25% and test to see how long it takes to get to 4 and then level off the %. I think the % is either amount amperage all the time or run time but accomplishes the same thing.
You folks are great. My pool builder was off on some of the suggestions plus most of the books are way off.
Thanks Pat

Here are today's numbers tested and retested!
Only addition was acid and raising the % on the chlorinator. Wanted to give accurate numbers before any more advice.
T Chl.- 3
F Chl. 2-3
Ph. 7.8
TA - 90
Cal. H. - 300
CYA - 35

Looks like I need 50 oz. of dry stabilizer, being safe, to get the CYA to 70.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.