Ready to get started

I'm beginning to see a significant difference in it in the pics. You had a lot of really dirty water there that you had to filter through, but you are definitely heading in the right direction.

LOL MY motto is it didn't get that way overnight, and it unfortunately won't get cleaned up overnight either.

The color is much, much, lighter, and it is switching towards a light grayish blue now which is great. I used a knee high pantyhose in my skimmer basket the entire time on mine (A skimmer sock, will work too, (REMOVE SOCK/HOSE before backwashing, rinsing, or vacuuming), this helps catch the smaller particles Before they have a chance to make it to the filter). Once I could finally see the bottom of mine I then added a small amount of DE to my sand filer to help trap any small particles that did in fact still happen to make it to the filter. Both of these things may help speed up the process too. I hope this helps, and your pool is coming along nicely. Have a wonderful day!!!

Vol I have an idea for you. You are at the point that the algae is almost dead so now you just need to filter it out. Here is a link on adding DE to your sand to help it filter better. BUT you will need to "babysit" it until you learn what your pool and filter likes as far as amount of DE.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

My pool likes about 3/4 cup. Another member had a pool that liked 2 cups. Find what your pool likes.

Kim

I'm beginning to see a significant difference in it in the pics. You had a lot of really dirty water there that you had to filter through, but you are definitely heading in the right direction.

LOL MY motto is it didn't get that way overnight, and it unfortunately won't get cleaned up overnight either.

The color is much, much, lighter, and it is switching towards a light grayish blue now which is great. I used a knee high pantyhose in my skimmer basket the entire time on mine (A skimmer sock, will work too, (REMOVE SOCK/HOSE before backwashing, rinsing, or vacuuming), this helps catch the smaller particles Before they have a chance to make it to the filter). Once I could finally see the bottom of mine I then added a small amount of DE to my sand filer to help trap any small particles that did in fact still happen to make it to the filter. Both of these things may help speed up the process too. I hope this helps, and your pool is coming along nicely. Have a wonderful day!!!

Here is the link on how to add the DE but If it were me I'd just give it a couple more days before adding it because it requires a lot of frequent pressure checks, backwashing etc. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

NOTE-IF you decide to use DE BE SURE you watch those pressures very closely because mine rose very quickly like within 4-5 mins with way less that a 1/4 of a cup diluted DE added, and ended up stopping the water from coming back through my return line. So when adding start low on the amount, go slow during the pours-add just a tiny amount each time into the skimmer, and Watch that pressure gauge. Good luck I hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

THIS IS POOL GRADE DE not Food grade DE there is a difference

Oh and Also IF you do decide to add a little DE you MUST remove the knee high panty hose, skimmer sock or whatever you may have in your skimmer basket until you're finished pouring because the DE can stop the sock etc. up, and then you'll lose pump prime. I added 1/4th cup DE into 2-3 Gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket, took a paint stirrer and stirred it, poured a tiny amount, like maybe 1/4th cup of the diluted DE mixture from the bucket, waited a min or 2 while watching the pressure gauges the entire time, Stirred my bucket again, because the DE Will settle on the bottom of your bucket quickly. Added another 1/4th cup of diluted solution to the skimmer, stopped for a min or 2 watching the gauges, then continued this process until I had raised my pressure reading by 1 PSI.

If you don't use all the DE and Water that you've mixed in the bucket, just sit it to the side (somewhere safe to keep it away from kids and animals), and add some more of it AFTER your next backwash, and any future backwashes until your pool is clear.

Some people with sand filters always adds a little DE in their filter after each backwash because it does help capture particles that sand alone can not. But of course, that decision is entirely up to you.

OK I read the article and have a couple questions. Pardon my ignorance, but when y'all refer to the skimmer, is that the two pool skimmers I have on the deck of my pool or the main skimmer at the pump? Also, where can I purchase DE for pool use? Only the pool store?

Ans another question, I seem to lose a little sand each time I backwash. How much is normal?,I just replaced my internal parts and put new sand in about a month ago due to a crack letting sand into my pool.

Yall are awesome! I appreciate the help!

- - - Updated - - -

Signature updated!

The skimmer, or skimmers, in your case are the parts that are attached to the pool and collect the leaves and stuff from the top of the water. The other will usually be referred to as the pump basket.

You can get DE at most places that sell pool stuff. I recently saw a box of it at Lowes. The reason they mention the pool type is that there is also a garden version but it doesn't work for filtering water.

I don't have a sand filter, but I have read that you need to run a little 'rinse' before you switch back to filter mode. Hope that helps.

Yes pa is correct on all accounts,

To help clarify what pa is referring to about the rinse on the sand filter because I do have one, is you need to backwash as usual for like 2 mins, then turn the handle to Rinse for about 1 min (water comes out the waste line when set on rinse too), and then you turn it back to filter.

I didn't know for a long time myself that that extra step was necessary so I was going from backwash right back to filter and completely bypassing the rinse portion which is a very important step. Needless to say, I too was getting sand into my pool at that time.

What that rinse portion does is reseed (pack)the sand back down in the filter tank. That way it's not still all up in the air, loosely swirling around from the backwashing, therefore preventing it from washing back into the pool through the return line. :)

I have been using the rinse setting. I guess I should have been clearer in my description, my apologies. My backwash and rinse drain runs I to my field and it leaves a little sand on the ground by the pipe. I have heard a little loss of sand is normal when backwashing and rinsing but not sure how much.

I have never have sand come back into my pool from my sand filter. Nor does any sand come out when I back wash.

I know you don't want to hear this but.............I would take my filter back apart and see what is going on. Something might have a tiny crack or such .

Kim

Kim makes an excellent point. There could be something else causing your issue all together. If you are rinsing, after backwash, the sand should be back into position in the tank, and ready to filter without any getting into the pool.

Also, are you sure you are rinsing your filter long enough after backwash to properly resettle the sand back into place?

I also occasionally get a little sand on the ground during the backwash, and rinse process.

As I mentioned before, when I was not rinsing after backwashing, I did in fact have some sand that would come back into the pool, but since I began rinsing for a full min, after backwashing I've had no further issues.

I can't really say what is causing your issue, but the sand shouldn't be getting into the pool if you are rinsing properly after backwashing, and if it is, as Kim mentioned there is probably something else causing it that needs further investigation.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but hopefully you will determine the cause soon, and stop that sand from getting in your pool. Have a nice day. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking good!!
To answer your question under pic #7, Now is when you can add the DE that we mentioned above in comments #61, 62, 63, 64, and 66. ADD POOL GRADE DE ONLY in very small amount of 1/4th cup diluted in like 3 gallons of water. pour a very small portion of that in your skimmer at a time, watch you pressure gauge for a 1 psi increase in pressure. It will help filter out the smaller particles, and clear it up faster.

Also there must have been some misunderstanding on us thinking the sand was currently getting into your pool, but if it isn't, I am very glad to hear that. :)

As far as the amount of sand you are losing in the field, if it isn't a huge amount it should be fine I too lose some during backwash and rinse. If it appears to be a lot to you, then odds are it is, and you might want to have it checked, but if it doesn't seem like much, then odds are it isn't, and I will probably be fine.

I'm not sure why it posted my same reply with added info several times above? I know I'm having an Edit Post issue on mine, and perhaps when I went to edit into the 1st comment above it instead made an entirely new comment etc. lol I have no idea. If there were a delete button I would remove some of the repeats.

Anyway, the pool is looking great. We all recommend you get you some POOL GRADE DE and add a 1/4th cup to 3 gallons of water and slowly pour it into your skimmer until it increases by 1 PSI and that should help it clear quicker. Watch the filter closely with the DE in it because the pressure can rise quickly. When it rises by 25% or about 5 PSI then backwash/rinse the filter, and again add a small amount of DE as before. I hope this helps. Have a nice night.

I will be buying the DE tomorrow. Where are the best places to buy DE? Also, We got a lot of rain today. Could that affect my pH? I know I am only supposed to worry about my FC and CC now but didnt know if it was worth mentioning?

Y'all have been great!

I will be buying the DE tomorrow. Where are the best places to buy DE? Also, We got a lot of rain today. Could that affect my pH? I know I am only supposed to worry about my FC and CC now but didnt know if it was worth mentioning?

Y'all have been great!
DE can come from the pool aisle of Lowes or Home Depot or Walmart or the pool store. Might be called "Filter Aid" or something. You'll end up with a lifetime supply, since int comes in big packages. It won;t rot, though the packaging will eventually. If you know someone witha DE filter and can beg or buy a coffee can's worth, that would be cheapest yet.

Rain tends to aerate the water and drive pH up. But if your area has acid rain, wit could drive it down. You'll just have toi wait and see. In California, the question is, "What's rain?"

In California, the question is, "What's rain?"

Richard, I think our drought is my fault. In March, we kicked off our pool remodel which quickly turned into a backyard remodel. To top it off, I got a new pool cover that keeps stuff out but lets 'rain' through because I was tired of pumping 'rain' off my darn pool cover! UGH...so sorry.... :sad:

Vol4life, Congratulations you did an awesome job!!! I'm so looking forward to the pic. When you post your test readings we will be glad to look them over to see if anything needs adjusting. Enjoy your clean and clear pool, and Have a wonderful night. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.