New pool in south Florida !

Dreynolds

Bronze Supporter
May 4, 2015
Palm Beach Gardens, Fl
We have been researching pool builders, finishes, pavers, tile for what seems like months. Finally got the the decking and tile picked out. Now to pick the finish. We would like a dark blue water color. So this is yet another upgrade. We both like Barbados blue by quartzscapes. It comes with a lifetime warranty on the product. But it's quite pricey. Diamond brite midnight blue is also in the running. Both of these are tint based products. I'm a little concerned with fading as we live in south Florida and we won't be screening the pool. The pool is going to be 17x30 3 1/2 to 6 foot deep with raised spa with marble spill over. 1300 sf of deck. We are having Ivory travertine installed for the deck. Permit went in last Tuesday. So we should be Breaking ground soon. And the pool builder needs us to pick the finish. Anyone have any experience with either of these products? Here is a pic of the tile

Pool Area – 17’0”x 30’0”, shallow to deep (3’0” to 6’0”) 510 sq ft surface
Standard exterior steps 6ft and deep end swimout
Pedestal Spa, raised 18”, – 6’x5’ square with marble spillway, 6 therapy jets,
LED spa light, entry step, tile beam, stucco exterior, 2HP air blower
Standard 6”x6” ceramic waterline tile (4.00 sq ft allow.),
Tumbled stone coping, mudset and grout to match
Tumbled stone patio, approx. 1300 sq ft
Color LED pool light; Heat pump/chiller Gulfstream

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 868
Re: New pool in south Florida need help on finish!

I like your tile.

I have heard of problems with molting in darker colors. It can have inconsistent coloring. What I have read is that it REALLY matters who does the install. Their experience with the product is the key.

I would do some research and see what you find.

I like your layout. I would think about a bench or such in the deep end as that has been a very popular hang out for many pools.

I like Marla's idea of the sunshelf also. Something big enough to put a chair or lounger on.

Kim

No experience with the exact 2 you list but IMHO I would go lighter color then your tile choice. Like Aruba Sky.... We had a Quartz in a previous pool and the water temp seemed to be a few degrees higher then a lighter color. Then again how much direct sun will your pool get? Good luck and it sounds like you have a great pool on the way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marlahoutex No sunshelf. We what to be able to do laps in the pool and thank you didn't notice the address on the drawing. kimkats Thanks I'll be post more pics of the tiles. Having a few dophin tiles on the spa that match. I'm ok with a lighter color but my hubby has his heart set on a dark blue water color. Daxton afternoon sun, but we are putting in a heatpump with chiller. it gets to hot here in the summer. And it's only 500.00 more for the chiller. Also helps that our son has an A/C bussiness.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks Kim! I'm am having some issues with my PB. I think he is trying to overcharge me for the upgrades. But my hubby is a GC so I can find out the prices. Wish he did pools lol. Fact is if we lived closer to Miami I would be in good shape. Trouble is we live over an hour away from all of his contacts. They don't travel this far north. I'm starting to get ticked off with him. Every time we look at something that's not in the original price it's very pricey. So there are 5 color choices in the original price but my hubby wants the midnight blue color which is not included of course. I found it on line for less than 18.00 more per bag. One bag cover approximately 22 sf. As my hubby is in construction he uses auto cad daily. He calculated our total square footage and our PB is way over priced. it shouldn't be more than 1000.00 at most 1200 if he is adding a little something for himself. And I made sure to ask if there was any additional labor charges and he said no just material.

I sent him a text this morning. Here it is. I was just matter of fact. If I called him I wouldn't have been as nice lol.

George why is the midnight blue that much more. You told me there was no more labor on this product . I can buy the midnight blue on line out of Miami for less than 18 more per bag than the included colors in the contract price. Those colors are starting at a little over 20 per bag. Rocky did the sf on the pool. If each bag covers approximately 22 sf at 3/8" it shouldn't be any more than 1000.00 give or take add to the original contract price.
He hasn't responded yet.

Well at this point he only has a small deposit and I have no problem pulling the plug on this project. I had 2 PB for my hubby to meet with and he only saw this one and decided to hire him. Think he just wanted to get started on the pool. It's very frustrating. We own a business and understand the construction world. Everyone needs to make a profit. But this is price gouging. And he wasn't the cheapest but not the most expensive either in the beginning.

This is just a color upgrade not product. I made sure there wasn't any extra labor with this. The only differance here is the product is tinted.Well 800- 1200 I would't complain about but 2810.00 for just a tinted product doesn't seem likea fair price to me.

I'm in your area. I hope you don't have the same builder we used. The pool came out ok but there were some issues. Anyways, we went with blue granite pebble sheen and it is beautiful. We also have Ivory travertine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.