New Pool in Orlando, Builder Shopping

Mello

Aug 7, 2015
Florida
So we've been getting bids for the last month, while moving into our new house. After getting over our initial shock that the pool would likely cost 10k more than we thought, we're trying to narrow down the builders. There's one that apparently some neighbors have been very happy with, we've found no negative reviews online, just one glowing review. Coincidentally, his bid is the least expensive, and his design was the closest to our original. So we're leaning heavily in that direction now. But would you all be so kind as to give us your input on this bid? Tell us anything you see that looks like a positive or a negative, anything to add or subtract or watch out for?

Ok, here's the design:
Pool Design.jpg Oconell_004s.jpg

12'x24' pool, 3-5' depth with 4'x8' Sun Shelf (incl Bubbler on a valved line)
Textured Concrete Decking with Color Band & Raised +18" area for water feature
36" Sheer Waterfall w/ valved line on raised deck area
SuperFlo 1.5 hp 2 Spd Pump
Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter
Standard Pool Light
All Manual Controls & Valves
IntelliChlor IC-20 Salt Chlorine Generation System
Great White Automatic Pool Cleaner on Dedicated valved line
4 pool returns standard
3 shallow end steps
Deep End Bench
Quartz Interior Finish w inlaid tile diamonds on steps & benches
Dome Screen Enclosure w/ footers, 2 doors, 10' wall height

They use all Pentair products

There's also a bunch of technical stuff that was included on pretty much all the bids, like permits, excavation, steel rebar reinforced concrete construction, 2" schedule 40 pvc plumbing, vinyl expansion joints, and the like... should I list it all out too?

We could add the IntelliPH Automatic Acid Feeder System for $850, but not sure how necessar it is, or if we could add it later if needed?
We could upgrade to LED Pool Light w/ Light Controller Switch for $650, again not sure about it
Various heating options are available as well for around $4500-ish, but we're planning to wait on that awhile and see if we think we need it

An acid feeder system could be convenient since you will be adding acid frequently to lower the pH the first year or so as the plaster cures. Also using a SWG tends to raise pH and you will be using acid periodically to correct that as well. I'm not sure about the cost, but another member should be able to tell you if that is a good value or not.

3' is quite shallow for the shallow end for all except small kids. But they grow quick and can swim.

LED lights are super cool.

Consider a robot for cleaning versus one plumbed in.

I hear a lot of chatter on here about automated pH systems. Mostly about the accuracy and need to calibrate. I have no personal experience and find no problem adding Muriatic acid. Some people don't like to be near the stuff.

Looks like a nice setup.

very nice pool. I agree with what was said above about the depth. Who will be using the pool?
When they say textured concrete decking, what exactly does that mean? Cool deck or stamped concrete? Will the concrete be painted or stained and sealed?
I an not sure with Pentair and a 2 speed pump but they make a variable speed pump which i would pay extra for. It is said to cut energy tremendously and will pay for itself rather quickly
I would also try and negotiate the LED light. Retail for the light is $400-$500 which your PB should be able to get cheaper. Tell him that if he throws that in you will go with him to build the pool :)
All of the technical stuff is pretty much standard. What type of concrete are they planning on using for the pool?
Do you have a cost breakdown of each line item?

Also keep in mind that the plaster he is offering will probably be only 5 colors to select from and are rather basic. My plaster was an $800 upgrade and i didn't go with the pearl which was more because of the process to apply. If your worried about budget stay away from Glass tile. In the price you were quoted more than likely they are offering only basic tile selections. My tile was an extra $2200 which was crazy.

lastly, do you have any sprinklers in your yard? if so normally they are not covered to move or reconnect. This was a $850 charge and i need to replace 4 pallets of sod which are not included either.

This is my opinion and i am by no means an expert. Good luck!

So it looks like we need to change shallow end to 3.5'. Good to know.
Good point on negotiating the LED. We'll try that!
Concrete deck, textured, painted & sealed, yes.
Didn't think to ask what kind of concrete for the pool! It says steel rebar reinforced pool construction and fiber mesh reinforced concrete (I assume for the deck?)
No real cost breakdown by line item, just itemized list for optional add-ons.

Anyone with experience with SWG and acid feeders, please chime in, we'd love some input on that!

Also, do you think with a small pool and a screened enclosure, that a robot cleaner is necessary? Or would that maybe be overkill? Do you folks who have them find them to be more convenient? Or is there any other advantage to them that we should know about?

I would not have my pool without my auto cleaner. It just makes having a pool that much nicer! Now mind you I do enjoy vacuuming my pool some days but there are days I just do not have the time. I would rather spend my time enjoying my pool.

I LOVE the design! That looks so nice!

Kim

My BP said today that there is no need for the acid feeder but i got the SWG system. HE also said that with a screen he said that I don't need a robot cleaner. I don't have personal experience yet on this though. You could always wait on it and see if yo need it.

Nothing to do with the pool, but I noticed on the plans there is an area of lanai that will be re-painted to match the new screen. I don't know if it's already been painted, but be careful on how this is done as it may not last with the FL sunshine & humidity. The previous owner of our house had our whole screen painted with what looks like silver Hammerite, probably only a few years ago. It's now all peeling off, and is rapidly becoming an eyesore, and will be a nightmare to strip off (especially over the pool).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.