laars epg250n pilot light replacement

Hi folks!
I have a very old laars epg-250 natural gas pool heater. the pilot light went out on it, and I'm trying to replace it.
However, the tray will not slide out due to the natural gas pipe union being outside of the unit. there's no way to shimmy that bad boy in any way or fashion to get it out, without remove the gas pipe from the left-side of the gas valve.
At least it appears that way, since all of that stuff is bracketed to the tray.
So my question is, how would I remove that rusty old gas pipe section without bending the crud out of the stuff on the tray below? any logistical help would be appreciated.

20150808_161949.jpg

Is that duct tape on the pipe outside of the heater?

Some where in your piping there should be a union close to the heater. If so that would be your spot to start taking the pipe apart. If not, well then your next thing is to cut the pipe somewhere to allow you to remove the pipe from the gas valve. Then of course you need various lengths of new pipe to replace. If this were your course of action, make sure the gas is off to the unit!!

Now I have been very lucky to be able to get these pilots out of the units without removing the tray. Not an easy task but it can be done.

Two wrenches...One on the gas valve and one on the pipe. Use the one on the gas valve to stabilize it and use the one on the pipe to loosen it. If it was installed properly, (pipe dope) it should spin right out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.