Palm Tree Fibers Clog Centrifugal Pump About Once a Month - Add screen to strainer?

Trebacz

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 10, 2015
Fountain Hills, AZ
I have a Pentair centrifugal pump. We have beautiful palms around the pool. About once a month I need to open up the Pentair pump and and pull out a tiny wad of palm fibers that get stuck in the center part of the impeller. It got so bad when we first moved in that the pump started to cavitate, be cause it was being starved for water on the input side. Since then I can recognize when it's getting clogged.

I have several points (leaf filter, skimmer, and pump strainer) that block debris from getting to the pump suction side, but these little fibers seem to get through somehow. Here is a link to the pump on Amazon that shows the pump and strainer setup.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H1S6BO/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008H1S6BO&linkCode=as2&tag=trebacz-20&linkId=7BK5VVZA3VHLAA2M

I'm thinking about adding fine screen to the pump strainer to block the fibers getting to the impeller. There is rarely anything that gets stopped by the strainer.

Any suggestions of screen mesh to use?

Any downsides to what I'm thinking?

I have palms around my pool, and have never had the problem. I have a leaf canister just before my pump that I keep a ladies knee high in and my skimmers both have Home Depot paint strainers In them. That seems to catch a lot before the pump and filter. If you use knee highs, be sure to clean or replace them regularly or you will starve the water from the pump.

I have palms around my pool, and have never had the problem. I have a leaf canister just before my pump that I keep a ladies knee high in and my skimmers both have Home Depot paint strainers In them. That seems to catch a lot before the pump and filter. If you use knee highs, be sure to clean or replace them regularly or you will starve the water from the pump.

Awesome suggestions everyone. Sounds like paint strainers (on the skimmer basket and leaf canister) and knee high hose (in the pump strainer) to the rescue. I like the idea of two different levels of filtering... I will by them this weekend and see how it works... Next time I clean it out I'll add pictures...

Don't try using anything in the pump basket. I have a separate leaf canister as part of an infloor cleaning system ahead of the pump. That's where I use knee highs. Otherwise you can put them in the skimmers, but that doesn't solve fibers picked up by a main drain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the continued suggestions. I went with the http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-1-gal-Elastic-Top-Strainers-2-Pack-11572-36WF/202061359 Home Depot paint sock in the skimmer and leaf collector on my vacuum. Nothing in the pump strainer. We'll see how that does. Thanks for the awesome feedback.
This is the same strainer i use in my skimmer. My pool is surrounded by pine trees and before using the strainer i was always cleaning out pine needles out of the pump basket. since using the strainer i never have to clean out the pump basket

Just wanted to update on this thread after a few months. The paint strainers from Home Depot work great. Since using them, I have no palm fibers getting stuck in the pump impeller. I'm amazed at how much sand they also catch, before it gets to the pump. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Just wanted to update on this thread after a few months. The paint strainers from Home Depot work great. Since using them, I have no palm fibers getting stuck in the pump impeller. I'm amazed at how much sand they also catch, before it gets to the pump. Thanks for all the great suggestions.
Thanks for checking back in and letting us know!

The Home Depot paint strainers lasted about a year. I just got my first tear in one just this week. They did effectively block the palm tree strands and sand from getting to my pump (used one on the skimmer basket and leaf collector on my vacuum). Never had to open the pump to clean :D all year. The only complaint about them is the elastic disappeared after a few months, so I just tucked it into the leaf collector top and it worked. The one on the skimmer was tight enough it hasn't mattered.

Now I'm going to try the Disposable Hair Nets from Amazon - they are only $5.78 for 100. They are certainly cheaper (and finer isn't bad either) and hope that they last at least a few months.

The Home Depot paint strainers lasted about a year. I just got my first tear in one just this week. They did effectively block the palm tree strands and sand from getting to my pump (used one on the skimmer basket and leaf collector on my vacuum). Never had to open the pump to clean :D all year. The only complaint about them is the elastic disappeared after a few months, so I just tucked it into the leaf collector top and it worked. The one on the skimmer was tight enough it hasn't mattered.

Now I'm going to try the Disposable Hair Nets from Amazon - they are only $5.78 for 100. They are certainly cheaper (and finer isn't bad either) and hope that they last at least a few months.

At $6 per hundred I change them once a week or even every couple days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.