Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
good morning

would like to get kWh consumption without the pool pump running
and now have a meter that reports kWh every day

ok to turn the pump off for a day? or something bad will happen?

thank you

You could also take a meter measurement with the pump on vs off and then subtract out the energy use during it's run time.

You could also take a meter measurement with the pump on vs off and then subtract out the energy use during it's run time.

wish i could do that but...
the output on the meter is 80kW units so does not change till 80kW units consumed, several days
however
now have an antenna that sends daily use to Puget Sound Energy and I can get daily reads on their web

why do I have 80 kWu meter? something to do with how Puget Sound Energy brought power to this place which I don't understand

If you can retrieve daily usage on their website, can you also get an hourly breakdown? I know my electric provider (SoCal Edison) provides that info. Takes a bit of clicking around to get it, but it's useful in your situation. Being that you have a "smart meter" perhaps your utility provides hourly as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We get hourly usage from the PG&E web site as well as the meter displays instantaneous power which is why I had suggested that. I think most of those digital meters can be configured to display instantaneous power but for some reason some power companies choose not to show it. You might ask if it can be enabled for your meter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It worked!
No pump one day and all is fine in the pool
By kWh subtraction pump consumes about 20 kWh / day running 12 hours / day
And amps(7.4) * 240 / 1000 * 12 = ~21 kWh
So all agrees.
Nice when things agree.

so had an unrequested one day no pump test
had an unusual Aug wind storm with trees down all over Whidbey and power out 29 hrs
pool filled with fir tree needles/cones and cooled down but was otherwise Ok

confirmed one day no pump > no problem
I did sprinkle couple of gallons round the perimeter as per Richard320

used pool water to flush as well pump was off
(kids said "this is really really exciting")
I kinda agreed

;)
Good idea on the use of the pool water!!

There is a down side. Bacteria in the septic system eat up the poop and chlorine kills them. But they should recover from a little bleach. And when the big one (earthquake) hits WA State, they will get lots and lots of bleach so was good rehearsal for them.;)

And
while the buckets stood in the bathroom lots of chlorine disappeared. FC on the water after standing was 2 so the dose to the septic system was kinda low.

More than likely it is CC and not FC. Municipal water districts tend to use CC as a disinfectant because it lasts longer in the water distribution system. Unfortunately, it tends to use up FC when added to pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.